• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box spacer ?

guillermo

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to find the cause of a "clunk" I hear when backing out and braking...the only problem I found is the steering box spacer is broke in 2 areas. I think this is the culprit because everything else looks good. Can it be fixed with JB Weld? Thanks.

JB weld? are you crazy? I use it for everything... just last week I broke both motor mounts and the transmission mount... fixed it with JB weld, not even the good full strength JB weld... I used the off brand el dirt cheapo 5 minute stuff...

the week before that I used some chewing gum to patch a flat tire

a before that some bailing wire to attach my new Chinapull 2001 super duty turbo 125,000,000 winch, and reinforced it with some full strength name brand jb weld for extra strength

made some drop brackets for my control arms and used JB weld to hold it all together

and the exhaust is held together with duct tape

I think it is most likely the control arm bushings being loose. Thay may feel tight but the inner bushing on many aftermarket control arms is made from rolled steel with a seam in it. These crush easily making it impossible to get them tight enough to not move around. I would take a good look at that.

Trackbar is fairly new and as tight as possible. VahasnoWaves...you were right, I should have made the spacer because the JCR took 13 days to arrive and looked as if someone made it in their garage... But it worked.

Trackbar is fairly new and as tight as possible. VahasnoWaves...you were right, I should have made the spacer because the JCR took 13 days to arrive and looked as if someone made it in their garage... But it worked.

Did all 4 holes line up for you? I just got mine and I can get the 3 for the actual steering box to line up but not the fourth frame rail hole. I know the 4th frame hole is just an added cautionary support but, my C4x4 tow hook mounts using that bolt. At the moment I had to leave that bolt out and can't use my hook for anything.

You know, after reading so many good things about JCR, I'm kinda disapointed with this product. First of all that same hole did not line up and I had to cut off that part to install it. Then the 3 remaining holes lined up well but they are not welded all the way around, just at 3 and 9 o' clock. I also had to remove the sharp edges from the drilled-out holes with a file.

I got my spacer from C-rok. Got it in a week and it went right on. Quality stuff. I had to paint it though.

I almost went with theirs and decided to go with JCR at the last minute because of NAXJA... Only now after searching do I see people have had the same problems as me.

Welding all the way around would be overkill really... I would probably do it since I'm a perfectionist but it is completely unnecessary.

I'm going to be adding a durango box soon as I ripped my stock one off the frame Friday, just need the weather and parts availability to agree for once. I'm sure I will need a new spacer, but since I need it yesterday, will probably end up fabbing my own.

Welding all the way around would be overkill really... I would probably do it since I'm a perfectionist but it is completely unnecessary.

I'm going to be adding a durango box soon as I ripped my stock one off the frame Friday, just need the weather and parts availability to agree for once. I'm sure I will need a new spacer, but since I need it yesterday, will probably end up fabbing my own.

Shouldn't be too hard. Just use the stock one as a template. 1 hour max.

I'm probably gonna use the durango box I got as a template... I have no doubt the stock spacer is in multiple pieces. Steering box has been clunking and bouncing around in there for like a week now, didn't realize that's what was causing some noises and screwy steering issues I had till it went from annoying to impossible to steer while I was snow wheeling.

Back