• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Swap - P0705

49erRider

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I know I know there are a ton of threads on this but I can't figure this SOB out.

I just swapped in a 4wd trans for my 2wd to finish off a 4x4 conversion.

Test drove it around the neighborhood a few times and there were no issues. Two days later with still only a neighborhood test drive on it the CEL comes on.

Pulled the codes to find P0705. So I said shoot I guess its the NSS. Well that was true it wasn't adjusted properly as I couldn't start it in Neutral. Got it adjusted right cleared CEL and it comes back the second I start the car.

So I figured ok it must have been bad but I had an extra one so I cleaned it installed and adjusted it properly and the same thing is happening. I have a hard time believing that both are bad and went out the same time I did the swap. So now I need to chase down this code, I pulled the #10 fuse and it checked out fine.

This is a 2000XJ with a 99 Trans in it.

Share your overpowering wisdom and let me rid myself of this CEL!

Don't forget to inspect the wire plug and wire harnesses for corrosion, chafed insulation and pinched or damaged wires. Not working right and not connected right looks the same to the TCU and/or the PCM.

I'll check that tomorrow Tim. If it didn't work with two different NSS switches I should look at the plug it connects to?

Which servos? I can't think of any that are relevant to this.

So, one of the reasons I got the 98 as cheap as I did was that it was throwing the ever popular P0700/P0705 code combination. It took three attempts to get the NSS adjusted so that the TCM was happy. I suggest that you make very small adjustments until the codes stop...

I had it starting in neutral, backup lights working and it threw codes. Two additional, very small, adjustments later, no codes. This after a clean and re-install.

Also should I erase the code after every adjustment or will the computer kick it off if its right?

Depending on the specific code (don't recall what an 0705 does) it may take 3 ignition key cycles or a few hundred miles to go away. I'd just clear it while troubleshooting, much faster.

Once you get everything done, clear it, a few hundred miles later it will be ready to be emissions tested. If they make you plug the computer in to pass inspection, you have to wait for this even if the CEL is off because the computer will report not ready for emissions tests otherwise.

Here's whats been happening.

I replaced the NSS, thought it was adjusted correct cleared the code and did not come back on until I started the car, read the code and was the same thing.

Once I clear it and the problem is gone it shouldn't come back though right?

The code will come back until everything is good. As I went through the process, it first threw codes every day... Small Adjust... Codes once every couple of weeks or so... Another Small Adjust... Finally! No codes for the last 6 Months.

Just my .02...

When you get to "no codes until you pull up to the vehicular inspection station", you know it's just messing with you.

Ahh after a few adjustments and still nothing I thought it may have overtightened it a bit. So I loosen it one turn and clear the code and the scanner for the first time said successful which I knew meant there wasn't a problem. Test drove it for a few and cranked quite a few times with no code. THANKS TO ALL

Back