• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0135 & P0132

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
Specs:
98 Sport
4.0L
AW4
231J
170k miles
Performance Mods:
K&N Drop in Filter
Throttle body spacer
2-year old Mopar Cat

Parts Replaced:
Autozone Upstream O2 Sensor

Background:
I finally got my xj road worth and im starting to have emission/run issues. Im going to start by saying my down stream O2 sensor harness was ripped off so i respliced the O2 sensor wires and its codes went away (cracker felt i should add this just in case). Now i have two codes, p0135 & P0132.

P0135-O2 sensor heater circuit (bank 1 sensor 1)
p0132-O2 sensor circuit high voltage (bank 1 sensor 1)

I pulled back the flex insultation around my upstream O2 sensor wires going into the engine bay and found no cuts or exposed wire. I just replaced the sensor about 2 hours ago with no such luck. To add, my battery is new but was drained due to leaving the dorr slighly ajar for days without noticing it. The battery seems charged and good working condition. The O2 sensor i just replaced was badly fouled with
black soot.

I noticed while driving i had a ping under acceleration and i would have to put my foot into the gas pedal to clear its throat.

I read something about a fuse for the 02 sensor, any idea where this is located??
Any ideas?? Thanks!

Dummy questions first:
Did you reset codes after replacing the upstream O2 sensor?
I'm going to say that 98% of the time if you get both those codes, your O2 sensor is bad. "Out of the box" isn't always the same as "in working condition". You might swap it out for a new, quality part and see from there.
Alldata says P0132 is "Sensor shorted to voltage" which suggests, if all the wiring and connections are in good shape, it would be an internal short in the 02 sensor ( so replace it). Either that, or your computer is toast.

Dummy questions first:
Did you reset codes after replacing the upstream O2 sensor?
I'm going to say that 98% of the time if you get both those codes, your O2 sensor is bad. "Out of the box" isn't always the same as "in working condition". You might swap it out for a new, quality part and see from there.
Alldata says P0132 is "Sensor shorted to voltage" which suggests, if all the wiring and connections are in good shape, it would be an internal short in the 02 sensor ( so replace it). Either that, or your computer is toast.

thanks for the reply, i cleared the codes, installed the new sensor and started up the motor. i didnt have this problem when the downstream o2 wasnt connected. would splicing the o2 sensor wires wrong ruin the upstream o2 sensor??

right now im disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery to reset the computer to see if that helps

started the jeep back up and let idle for 5 mins, it idled fine then started sputtering again. only code p0132 came up now.

Good luck Anthony.

I don't see how splicing the downstream wrong would cause a fault code for the upstream.
Would it be accurate to say that it runs fine until warmed up?

I don't see how splicing the downstream wrong would cause a fault code for the upstream.
Would it be accurate to say that it runs fine until warmed up?

i thought maybe if splicing the wires wrong could cause problem, if i rev it high it seems to clear its sputtering

do i need to drive or let it idle for a little to relearn its self like an IAC sensor??

do i need to drive or let it idle for a little to relearn its self like an IAC sensor??

Yeah, the PCM has to relearn.

just had a bunch of the same codes come up on my 99.
I had the wiring destroyed from rubing on the drive shaft
I replaced both O2 sensors, and still had codes

Check the fuse box under the hood. the O2 sensors are on a fused circut.

I found a blown 15amp fuse (not labeled on the lid) replced the fuse, clear the code. and have been good for the last 200 miles

I found a blown 15amp fuse (not labeled on the lid) replced the fuse, clear the code. and have been good for the last 200 miles

ill have to check for the blown fuses. thanks!

i just found a blue 15 amp fuse blown wher u said urs was

Well this just helped me out. Thanks!

1999 Classic 4.0 with AW4 and 100K miles. O2 sensors had both been changed out at the dealership (I'm assuming with OEM sensors) about 5 years and 30K miles ago. During my Rubicon run a couple of months back, my Jeep started trying to die out on me whenever I was at idle and it would lug and surge randomly when I tried to accelerate. Made the Slabs and Cadillac Hill pretty interesting... Eventually the check engine light came on and I believe it started with P0135. Nothing I could do about it on the trail so I limped it out.

Got on the highway to head home and found it ran just fine at speed. I got busy, and maybe a little lazy, and just ignored it for about a month. Typically my only symptom was a lugging/dying feeling when trying to accelerate once the engine reached about 120 degrees during warm up. I finally pulled codes again as the check engine light was still on and I got:

P0132
P0135
P0138
P0141

Which were High Voltage and Heater Circuit Malfunction for Bank 1, both Senor 1 & 2.

I ordered new O2 sensors and finally got around to installing them a few days ago. While removing the old ones, I found what probably started my problem. While on the Con, I had come down hard on my muffler somewhere along the way. This had shoved my exhaust system, and thus my post cat O2 sensor, up into the bottom of the vehicle. The impact had torn the insulation on one of the sensor's wires as it got smashed up into the aluminum heat shield above the cat. Replaced both my sensors and figured I was golden.

Much to my disappointment, I continued to have issues and kept intermittently throwing the same codes, usually just one or two at a time. I would also still get the same lugging/dying problem going on as the engine tried to warm up in the morning. I stumbled across this thread and found that sure enough, Fuse #24 (2nd Mini-fuse in the 1st row in the PDC) was blown. Replaced it and my codes went away!

I'm guessing that when my O2 sensor smashed into the heat shield, it shorted out the circuit and blew the fuse. I think the codes I got were more a result of the blown fuse as the wires on the O2 sensor were still intact. So here's what I don't understand. Why with a blown fuse would the system work at all? Does the PCM compensate for the bad readings from the O2 sensors? How come the codes would only come back intermittently instead of all at once? I can understand the Heater Circuit Malfunction, but why the High Voltage reading?

Back