• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main engine seal, Is it that easy?

rmonte4812

NAXJA Forum User
I've read the post in the frequently asked questions and writeup section and it seams pretty easy. Just wondering if is as easy as it sounds? Looking for input from people who have actually done it.
I have a 98 4.0 auto. I have all the basic shop tools and am very mechanically inclined but i've never tackled something like this

I did it on an 87 4.0. The biggest problem I had was getting the old pan off (very stuck, very rusty), and past the axle. My 87 had no lift, and probably somewhat sagged engine mounts, and getting the axle dropped far enough down took a bit of detaching, etc., but nothing terrible.

The seal itself was a piece of cake. I tapped out the upper piece with a piece of brazing rod as a drift. New one slid right in. I used the double-lipped Fel-Pro seal that is supposed to compensate for a worn spot on the crankshaft. It worked fine.

I had difficulty getting the oil pan gasket to seal properly. I used the three piece set, and it leaked like crazy for a while. I tried re-installing and it leaked just as badly the second time. I passed the Jeep to my daughter before I got it fixed, and she drove it for some time with oil just gushing out until the level went down a quart or so. Eventually, it simply stopped leaking almost completely, we never figured out why. Maybe just enough crud built up to seal it. But the moral of that story is that I'd use a one-piece gasket next time.

by the way, I did suspect at first that the seal was the culprit, but checked and found that the flex plate was completely clean and dry, so I'm pretty sure it really was the gasket that leaked.

I'm in the process of doing my first one on a '97 auto and it's pretty much a huge PITA. My XJ is from TX and has zero rust, but it's just a really time consuming job. I had to take off the shocks, track bar, sway bar, inspection plate and starter to drop the pan out. Then you have to take off the main girdle, carefully tap the rear main bearing cap off and struggle with tapping out the seal with a punch. It took me two nights (3.5-4 hours each) to get it all apart and another night to get it cleaned up and ready to reinstall. Tonight I'm putting it back together and hoping it doesn't leak. If it does, I'll be looking for kittens and puppies to kick.

Back