• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where should i bring my build from here?

twodoorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I currently own a 1998 cherokee, 4.0, 5 speed, 231

Heres what ive got so far:

4-5 inches of lift

Ford 8.8

HP d30

JCR 1-ton steering

IRO long arms

aussie locker

33x10.5 km2s

Bumpers, skids front to rear, ect.

Now, im looking to get some bigger tires and take it down some gnarlier trails. Here are my thoughts:

-Keep the d30 and 8.8, regear to 4.56 or 4.88, and get some 35s and a full case locker, possibly chromo shafts ( i kind of want to keep the axle shafts as a fuse)

-Waggy 44s regear to 4.56 or 4.88s, sell the d30 and 8.8 as funds for detroits, gears, shafts, bracketry ect. 35 inch tires.

-Hp 44, and a ford 9 inch, not really sure about this one, im not really looking to have full width axles, as i still want to drive this on the road, and cops in my area are a-holes and will definately pull me over and write me countless tickets. Im not really looking to narrow axles.

So, at this point in time im leaning towards the waggy 44s. Suggestions and comments are all apreciated.

Oh yeah, heres a couple recent pics of my rig:

rausch1.jpg

wmj21.jpg

wmj17.jpg

wmj1.jpg

wmj11.jpg

jeepsnow5.jpg

Sorry for being a pic-whore.

wait you don't want to go full width hp44/9in because your tires will stick out, yet you are running without flares now and your tires are sticking out past your flares in the one pic and you have none in the rear in all of the pics...

if you do the math going with the hp44/9in if you run a 12.5 tire with 4.5in bs wheels you should only be around 78in wide up front and 77in in the rear... not much wider than if you ran your stock width axles with some 3.5in bs wheels

i think the waggy 44 would be the same amount of work as the full width swap would be...

my vote is toss some chromos and full case lockers in front and rear, trim up the fenders a bit and go with the 35's

waggy rear is one inch narrower then your 30,same as 8.8..i cut my f250 rear down 7in.the streagth of the 8.8 is about same as 44 other then c clip thing.9in has a really low pinion.more or less comes down to full with or not and 5 lug or 6 lug.

How far do you plan on going with the Jeep period? If it is going to keep evolving past just axles then do it right the first time. I would get the waggy's and you can run 37's no problem if you drive smart. You willing to cut more on the body? 35's or bigger is going to get tight IMO.

Nice Rig, any way I could get some close up pics of your bumper with the lights turned off, my bumper is the same style and I would like to add lights like that.

wait you don't want to go full width hp44/9in because your tires will stick out, yet you are running without flares now and your tires are sticking out past your flares in the one pic and you have none in the rear in all of the pics...

if you do the math going with the hp44/9in if you run a 12.5 tire with 4.5in bs wheels you should only be around 78in wide up front and 77in in the rear... not much wider than if you ran your stock width axles with some 3.5in bs wheels

i think the waggy 44 would be the same amount of work as the full width swap would be...

my vote is toss some chromos and full case lockers in front and rear, trim up the fenders a bit and go with the 35's

Im just saying that if my tires stick out 3 or 4 inches, thats fine. But i really cant have my tires stick out more than that.

How far do you plan on going with the Jeep period? If it is going to keep evolving past just axles then do it right the first time. I would get the waggy's and you can run 37's no problem if you drive smart. You willing to cut more on the body? 35's or bigger is going to get tight IMO.

Waggys with chromo shafts, correct?

I run 37's on a 30/8.8 combo with 4.56 gears. I haven't broken anything yet but I try to keep a light foot. You have a pretty stout set up right now with long arms an 33's, why dont you 4 link the rear? then go from there with axles and bigger tires...

If your only planning on running 35's save your cash and keep your current axles as they will hold up fine. Throw some chro-mo's up front, but I would keep the standard Spicer 760x U-joints as your "fuse". Re-gear to 4.88's so you can pull them tires on the highway and up grades when loaded with camping/off-road gear, might as-well toss in an Aussie locker or a full case Detroit into the 8.8 whle doing the re-gear.

You didnt mention if you have a SYE or 4:1....with the money you save from buying and building new axles, I would get a HD SYE, 4:1, and a CV shaft. Also up-grade your axle yokes to H.D. U-bolt style.

If your only planning on running 35's save your cash and keep your current axles as they will hold up fine. Throw some chro-mo's up front, but I would keep the standard Spicer 760x U-joints as your "fuse". Re-gear to 4.88's so you can pull them tires on the highway and up grades when loaded with camping/off-road gear, might as-well toss in an Aussie locker or a full case Detroit into the 8.8 whle doing the re-gear.

You didnt mention if you have a SYE or 4:1....with the money you save from buying and building new axles, I would get a HD SYE, 4:1, and a CV shaft. Also up-grade your axle yokes to H.D. U-bolt style.

I have a hnt sye, and a custom CV shaft, but that sounds like a good idea. Ill probably do 4.88s front and rear, along with a detroit front, and im thinking an E locker for the rear. I want decent road manners, as i will still be driving on the street, and with the detroit or aussie with the 5 speed,it will sound like i have a trunk full of dogs barking.

I run 37's on a 30/8.8 combo with 4.56 gears. I haven't broken anything yet but I try to keep a light foot. You have a pretty stout set up right now with long arms an 33's, why dont you 4 link the rear? then go from there with axles and bigger tires...

You arent wheeling hard enough:gee:

I really have no need for a 4 link, im thinking that my leaf packs with the shackle relocation brackets will give me enough travel. I see no real benefits to a 4 link rear.

Back