• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High oil pressure

DrShaggford

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ 4.0 auto and the oil pressure is uncomfortably high. It generally sits around 70psi at idle and around 80psi when driving. After driving for over 30-45 min it wil drop to 40psi at idle but is still almost 80 while driving. I was running bargain brand 10w-30 for a while and about a week ago I switched to rotella 10w-30. I have replaced the oil pressure sensor and yes I got the one for the gauge and not the dummy light. There are no oil leaks anywhere and doesn't seem to be any weepage but it's hard to tell for certain on such a dirty block. Any ideas on what might be causing this? Is this something I need to worry about or can I just leave it be?

It would be best for you to rent a "mechanical" oil pressure gauge from a parts store. Inexpensive. Install it where the oil pressure sending unit currently resides.

Compare the readings from that with what you are seeing.

It is not impossible that you have some inaccuracy between the sending unit and the gauge, possibly the gauge itself.

Verifying it will take about a half an hour and then you will know for SURE.

Good data = Good decisions.

If actually high, partial build-up in the oil passages? Atf, seafoam, or other detergent before next oil change?

Back