• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Signal Lamps/Indicators Dead after Rain - front AND rear...

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
We recently had a bit of a torrential rain situation here in los angeles (not used to this! - as it NEVER rains here - as you may already have heard!) and as a result of that - I took out my water dam above the skid plate years ago - took the skid plate out too actually... but anyway-I think this happened after driving through about four inches of water at fairly high speed on my 31" BFGs ( I mention this because they tend to channel a lot of water!!). I'm sure my engine compartment received a good soaking...

So anyway- about a day after suddenly my signal lamps went intermittendly dead and then after that fully dead. They were intermittent for a few hours. I think the most telling thing about this situation is that when I click the stalk over to indicate left or right (same result in both cases) neither the flasher module seem to engage (no clicking from it) nor do I get any kind of signal indicator on the dash. Neither front nor rear signals do ANYTHING.

I was looking through my copy of the electrical FSM to see if I could get any insight... I thought I might be able to trace the circuit to a vulnerable splice that got soaked (or a terminal) - splice Z1 and another whose name I forgot seem like places to check - but I wouldn't know where to begin looking really. No other functions seem to be impaired at this time.

So - judging from the symptoms - can anyone recommend a decent means of diagnosing the problem?? It really sucks because now I can't REALLY drive without being super paranoid about the signals and getting pulled over and/or getting into an accident...!! : (

oh yeah- one more thing... I checked the connections to my ARB front bumper and cleaned them out with De-Oxit but it didn't make a difference. It's been dry for at least a week now... and I'd have hoped the problem would have gone away by now - but no....

92 XJ sport w/AX15 trans (can't think of any other installed custom options that would affect this)

Check all of the bulbs and bulb sockets for wetness or corrosion. Inspect the wires and bulb sockets for damage, chafed insulation or pinched wires. Check the fuses.

^ what he said.

Thanks for the response... and sorry for the delay. I wasn't able to log in for several days. Well I went through and checked everything. Well all of the above recommended. I also found a far better way to search naxja than the search engine... it's called 'google'... gotta say it's way easier to find related issues... but anyway- I found a few threads suggesting removing the fuse panel board in the driver's compartment - though it's super awkward to get at the bolts... so I didn't do that.

Any more suggestions? I don't think it's a compromised wire - since it happened during a big rain and passage through a large puddle as mentioned... any other suggestions??

Check the grounds in the front turn signal sockets. Try stuffing a clean piece of copper wire in the front down the side that holds the ground tab. You'll find it behind the foam washer.

Do you have any oddness in the cluster lamps? like turn signal indicators that come on solid when te parking lamps are on? If so it's certainly a ground issue up front.

Back