• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Basket Construction

96XJ9705

NAXJA Forum User
I wasn't sure if this goes here because I can unbolt it from my jeep. But wanted to mention it as I haven't seen it anywhere else. To make a roof basket for my jeep I used the tubing from the legs and base of our old trampoline. The tubes were about 1 5/8" diameter and I welded two legs together for the length and just the width of the base frame and made a second for the top frame. Then fish-mouthed 14 - 4" sections for the vertical spacers and then tacked it all together. The bottom was made with 1/4" wire 4" x 4" wire fencing. It attaches to the yakima rack with u-bolts.

Anyways, I'm pretty excited how it turned out and will post pictures after I finish sanding down some of the welds and paint it. Total cost after the fencing, welding wire, and hardware was about 45.00. Size wise it is about 4' x 3' x 6" and should make it possible for use as a family camping rig again.

Back