• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake booster swap

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
im upgrading my power booster and master cylinder on my 87xj . im using a 95-96 xj dual diaphragm booster and matching master cylinder..some one posted with in a post about you must change the brake pedal assembly. im having a hard time finding the posted . anyone know about this.

it all depends on the pedal assembly you have now. my 89 had the bendix anti lock system that used a pedal assembly that is way off. so swapping out the entire assembly was much easier than adjusting the pushrod a little. but to make things simple and sure, just get a junk yard pedal assembly with the breaklight switches and such and you should be good.

I believe if you have a single diaphragm booster, the pedal should be alright. It is when the Bendix ABS system, as 2stix mentioned, is installed is when a new pedal is needed. When I installed a '95 booster into my '91 with the Bendix system, the pin for the rod was too high on the pedal, and I was unable to attach the rod to the pedal. I grabbed the pedal off of my '99 I had just parted out, and it worked fine.

Here you can see the difference in pin position. ('91 on left, '99 on right)
DSC_0687.jpg

Back