• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a 4.0 motor in France

jefpac

NAXJA Forum User
Hi!

My beloved 1992 XJ Limited is sick. At 234,000+ KM, I'm pretty sure that I've blown a head gasket and maybe even cracked the head. Other than that, this jeep is in very good condition for its age.

Right up to the point that it puked coolant all over the freeway it was pulling strong (albeit with a bit of noise from the crankshafr) and would take me in and out of places where I was the weak link.

My problem is that in my search for a replacement motor (nope, I don't have the time, tools or skils to take on a project like this) I have been astonished to find that in general, the pricing BEGINS at about €2,500!!!

HELP!

Is anyone aware of an alternative option for me? At this price, I could almost ship a motor in from the USA...

Any advice you may have will be appreciated.

Let's save another XJ!

You can buy a complete XJ in England for less than 600 Euro (£500) and drive it back to France to transfer the engine to your Jeep. The right hand drive XJ has a different water pump, radiator and right hand engine mount. If you can swap these parts from your existing LHD engine you should be OK. Remove whatever other parts you need and scrap the rest.

The annual inspection test in the UK is called 'MoT' Test, a relic from the days of the Ministry of Transport. It's easy to find XJs on ebay.co.uk with short MoTs. As long as you have three months MoT left before expiry and three months British Road Tax (Road Fund License) on a Jeep that you find you should be able to insure it in the UK to drive it back to France.

If you don't fancy doing that, just get a used engine shipped over. I found one today for £275 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JEEP-CHEROKEE...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5493b03b

Vince,

Thank you for a great suggestion!

I knew there had to be a better way. I've even gone so far as to get quotes on remanufactured engines (with a warranty!) from Jasper Engines in the US as an alternative to the pricing I've found here. Even with shipping costs, It was just about a break-even with the local pricing. The only (and serious) wild card would be import taxes.

So, it's off to eBay.UK for me! I'll post again if I am able to fid a good deal.

Back