• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case cable shifter

Paintballpsyco2369

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I have had quite a bit of time to think about upgrades for my XJ the last couple weeks, and I was checking out some things at Advance adapters and came across the cable shifter kit for a TJ. This spiked my interest in doing something along those lines for my XJ when I put the new trans and t-case in. After a chat with someone at AA, It turns out that kit would not work on my XJ. I am sure I could modify it somehow to make it work, but I started doing some digging and found this: http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2xc.htm. I like this option much better, mainly as it is significantly cheaper and my limited budget may have room to allow me to do this.

My XJ is an 88, and the trans and t-case are out of a 96 so I know I am going to have to modify the shifting linkage somehow anyways to make it work.

I was just wondering if anyone has used a cable shift conversion before at all, and what they thought of it? I know I can wait to do this till a later time as I still have quite a bit of work to do on this rig but I would like to get more info on it so I can possibly make some room in the budget for it... Any more info, advice, opinions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Paint

I like this idea. I do have my linkage sorted out, but I'm not happy with it. The shifter and transfer case linkage point is almost on top of eachother. This is small block swap so nothing is going to be a bolt in but the cable comes close.

I like this idea. I do have my linkage sorted out, but I'm not happy with it. The shifter and transfer case linkage point is almost on top of eachother. This is small block swap so nothing is going to be a bolt in but the cable comes close.

What engine/transmission are you installing?

Are you dead set on cable?

You can mod the shifter tab on the t-case, use a piece of allthread and a couple of heim joints--all done.

http://naxja.net/forum/showthread.php?t=949069

I love the idea, and prefer that to the cable completely lol. Saves me a TON of work. Did you by chance have any pics though of it finished? Or is it basicly the same thing as the post below yours is?

That is a heck of a lot cheaper too. I am definitely not dead set on the cable at all, it just seemed an easy solution to having to deal with all the small rods, plastic swivel bushings and all that other crap. Plus, my brackets are 22 years old, and the donor parts, at least what I got with it is missing something. Can't remember what, but the guy said there was something missing on it... I love that idea though.

I love that! Going to call around tomorrow to see if I can find the parts. lol

Thanks for the input guys,

Paint

Anyone know if there are other write ups for this somewhere? Or something with some more detailed info perhaps? Mainly I am just looking for more info on that t-case piece that the guy in the link did (the link with all the pictures I mean). He had used the part from an s-10, but I have no time to go hunting for one of those in the local yards, and really not much cash to buy one from somewhere or someone lol. Trying to make use of whatever I can that I have sitting around so...

Thanks again for the info,

Paint

Not sure what other info you are after. The bracket is from an S10 ,your search shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Practicully every junkyard in the country keeps a list of what vehicles they have. Walk in, ask if they have any s-10's (or s15's)....go out and pull the part.

Really any info to be honest. Can't think of any way to really be specific honestly. Just any other info I can get on doing a swap like that. Or rather other methods that people have used perhaps. Mainly I would like to find a way I could just modify the arm I have now to make it work.

I know I can call around for it to find one but they would probably want too much for the bracket as most of them charge WAY too much for parts. The one place that comes to mind that would probably do a good deal is a long drive from me, but I do have to go that way in the next week or so, so I might be able to schedule something to go take a look... I guess I could give it a shot over the next couple days. Mainly though I would rather modify what I have. Too far to drive for that small of a part that I am sure I could just modify mine... And I really have no money right now, place I was working decide to let me go begining of last semester at school and the new semester started a couple days ago so I am down to only a few $$ left right now... I guess I will just have to figure it out...

Thanks again,

Paint

Back