• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine oil! ZDDP! Rabblerabblerabble... A testimonial.

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
I just figured I'd share a personal experience from about 20 minutes ago.

For the past couple years, I've been feeding my XJ either Mobil 1 or Castrol GTX, depending upon my budget at the time, all because I was sick of reading so much about the absence of ZDDP in modern oils and the resulting valvetrain noise everyone seems to be familiar with in the ol' trusty 4.0.

Well, after reading this thread in the JeepSpeed forum, I decided to give Rislone Oil Supplement with Zinc/ZDDP Treatment a whirl.

I poured roughly half a bottle in my warm engine, fired her up, and within about 5 seconds the valvetrain ticking went silent. The engine is the quietest I've ever heard it. No long term results to report yet, but my initial impressions are quite positive.

So, if you want to stop obsessing over what oil to buy, go with whatever tickles your fancy and get some of that Rislone ZDDP additive and call it a day.

Thanks for the post!

I have been running Rotella T6 for the zddp. My valvetrain is quiet, oil pressure is great. Even on singe digit temperature mornings, it spins over and starts quietly. Needless to say, I am a fan of the oil.

Rotella T 10w30.

Amsoil AMO here (its 10w-40 fullsyn with more ZDDP)

autozone has the rislone treatment for almost half the price of advanced auto.
im stopping there tomorrow.

nvm. almost the same bottle
but no zinc in it

Rotella 10w30 for me (occasional Mobil Delvac), but may have to give this some consideration

The only specs I can find on the ZDDP content of Rotella are several years old... Is the formulation still the same? I might just go that route next time.

The only specs I can find on the ZDDP content of Rotella are several years old... Is the formulation still the same? I might just go that route next time.

They are not the same. Rotella has reformulated the T6 5w40 so it no longer has the same ZDDP levels. The 10w30 Rotella has even less, but is still classified as a heavy duty motor oil. You can find more info on the Bob is the Oil Guy Forums. You said you poured half a bottle in, is that what you recommend? I might try this in mine. Was it on the shelf at Advance Auto or did you have to order it? Might swing by there on my way home.

Thanks for the info, buddy.

This stuff seems to be stocked at all Advance locations from what I've seen. The bottle recommended 16 oz for engines made between 97 and 04, so that's where I started (32 oz bottle).

Thanks for the info, buddy.

This stuff seems to be stocked at all Advance locations from what I've seen. The bottle recommended 16 oz for engines made between 97 and 04, so that's where I started (32 oz bottle).

Ok Thanks. :thumbup:

So I'm trying the Rislone ZDDP...

I used the Rislone along with Rotella 5w40 synthetic and a Mopar filter. Before I was using 1 quart Marvel Mystery Oil and the rest Rotella 5w40. Now it seems as though my valvetrain is louder than it was before. Not really sure why. Is the Rislone thicker? My jeep has 105k miles.

That's odd - not sure on the thickness vs MMO (haven't used the stuff in years). The Rislone seemed thicker than 10w30 by a long shot though.

In any case, I'm not an expert - all I know is it helped my 4.0 (157,000 on the clock). YMMV.

Back