• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welcome back Mr. Heat... and cheap t-stat housing

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
(1989 4.0, low heat, not reaching operating temps as quickly as it should.)

With the below freezing temps here lately, and maybe more on the way, I decided it was time to tackle the t-stat. My drive to work is short, but would still never come up to temp. Heater sucked.

Compressor Works/TorqFlo Water outlet Part # 814802 $11.99
Brake cleaner, hose clamps, Failsafe thermostat, gasket, anti-freeze, Redline water wetter, upper and lower Dayco radiator hoses.

$86.90 before taxes. $78.00 after my discount, not too bad. (Autozone)

The interesting part was the water outlet/t-stat housing. I decided to pick one up, just in case. More than a few times I have found them a bit warped and prone to leaking, so more of a CMA type thing. I could always bring it back to work tomorrow for a refund. However, when I put the two side by side, I noticed the TorqFlo was cast without the restriction that comes with the OEM aluminum one.

Since we see temps in the 100's in the summer, decided to go with the new one. Hopefully will make a slight difference.

Buttoned it all up, filled and burped the system and hit the interstate and city driving for a bit. Temps are a solid 195/200, and the heater is putting out nicely. Thankfully so, as I did not feel like doing a heater core.

Attached should be a picture showing the difference.

water_outlet_outline.jpg

Yer lucky. I tried the same housing, and it woud not clear the belt on my 88 and the husing was just thicker enough to make me wonder if the bolts were too short.

Also, the tube for the heater was smaller on the inside.

I didn't either, but the bottom bolt is a real doozie to deal with if you don't remove the belt.

I just used the 3/8" extension as a prybar and was able to get past it. And yes, my belt is set correctly. :D

Joe you are full of it... tips, expert advice and solid knowledge that is. Thanks again!

Yep, people have been telling me I'm full of it for a lot of years now, but they mean it in a different way.

Last edited:
if you get the HO one for your Renix (the one with the hole in it for the HO temp sender) You can grab a brass plug from the hardware store and it becomes a very handy bleeder. Just a tip for those that can't get the cooling system burped.

if you get the HO one for your Renix (the one with the hole in it for the HO temp sender) You can grab a brass plug from the hardware store and it becomes a very handy bleeder. Just a tip for those that can't get the cooling system burped.

That is what I did.

Instead of a plug I used a brass petcock that has a short tube on it. When burping I put a piece of vinyl tube over that petcock extension and hang the other end to the hood with a HF magnet--pour coolant into the pressure bottle and the air shoots up out of the vinyl tube. Makes for a 30-second burp.

Similar to this photo from lunghd.com, except my petcock has a tubular extension on it:
burphole.jpg

Last edited:
I thought of doing that, Joe, but did not have one in stock.

BTW. you appear to be missing a bolt on the exhaust. :)

I thought of doing that, Joe, but did not have one in stock.

BTW. you appear to be missing a bolt on the exhaust. :)

Yeah, that isn't mine, too lazy to go and take a picture of my own.

My jeep seems to be runnin' @ around 140º (negative temps after sunset), so I bought a new 195º tstat, but I'm being a wuss about putting it in in 20º daytime weather.

I believe the last owner put in a 160º unit because of an overheating problem. I solved the overheating problem w/ a new radiator, but skimped on a new tstat.

I have a question though: Can anyone recommend a "premium" brand of thermostat? I've had several cheapo thermostats go bad quickly or be bad right outta the box.

And another: The hole goes up, right?

i just posted a new thread about this, i'm a tad more thorough in there, but figured while you're on the subject i'd ask here. the head on the bottom bolt of the housing broke. whats the best option of what to do here?

My jeep seems to be runnin' @ around 140º (negative temps after sunset), so I bought a new 195º tstat, but I'm being a wuss about putting it in in 20º daytime weather.

I believe the last owner put in a 160º unit because of an overheating problem. I solved the overheating problem w/ a new radiator, but skimped on a new tstat.

I have a question though: Can anyone recommend a "premium" brand of thermostat? I've had several cheapo thermostats go bad quickly or be bad right outta the box.

And another: The hole goes up, right?

Stant Super Stat. About $7 at Advance Auto, Napa and/or Rock Auto.

Back