• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Noise (video)

BAMF95

NAXJA Forum User
I searched on here and on youtube and although I did hear head nioses, I did not hear anything that sounded exactly like this. When I first bought the Jeep I heard that 4.0L engines were loud, so I did not think anything of it.

I have yet to hear another XJ sound anything like mine so I am trying to trouble shoot it.

'95 Cherokee Sport
4.0L HO
180,000 miles
No power adders or anything other than a muffler for modifications to motor.
Sounds like a diesel to me. I would like a relatively quiet motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUemb4D_gpM

Last edited:
sounds like its time for a new engine.

Why would I need a new engine? I believe New Engine sound is more like Rod Knock...or when I threw a rod through my block.

If you are gonna post that, you might as well give me a reason why. I have worked in a shop and have a lot of experience with motors. I have just never heard anything like this.

My reason for saying it sounds like you need a new engine is because that's what it sounds like. If you mechanicly inclined then you could probably tear apart the engine and find whats wrong, but 4.0's these days are very cheap with low miles (100k motors). It doesn't sound like a easy fix. If it affects power and the noise bothers you then fix it, but just to add my 91 has been making the same noise for 5k now. Oil pressure and temp is fine, but the 91 is not a DD so it doesn't bother me to much.

Do you know what is making the sound though?

It could be anything, without taking it apart you wont know. I would start by pulling the valve cover and taking a look and move on down from there. At 180k it not something i would worry about to much. Usually when engine's make a loud noise like that they are getting tired.

My reason for saying it sounds like you need a new engine is because that's what it sounds like. If you mechanicly inclined then you could probably tear apart the engine and find whats wrong, but 4.0's these days are very cheap with low miles (100k motors). It doesn't sound like a easy fix. If it affects power and the noise bothers you then fix it, but just to add my 91 has been making the same noise for 5k now. Oil pressure and temp is fine, but the 91 is not a DD so it doesn't bother me to much.

Thank you for clarifying that. I appreciate your input. I am very mechanically inclined have built and rebuilt many motors...not Jeep motors but 4G63T motors.
Anyway to stay on topic, I can fix it if I know what it is.

It could be anything, without taking it apart you wont know. I would start by pulling the valve cover and taking a look and move on down from there. At 180k it not something i would worry about to much. Usually when engine's make a loud noise like that they are getting tired.
I am pulling the valve cover at the moment.
I think its worrying me more and more because I just had a toyota that was rebuilt about 35k ago spin a bearing.
Anyway, thanks.

Was the motor hot or cold when the video was taken? I didnt see the temp gauge in the video. Not to be an ass but are you sure that noise is from the valve train? you didn't say anything about diagnosing the noise. Using a stethescope or a tubeof some kind to hear through. Sounds alot like piston slap. Does the noise go away if you rev the motor or hold a higher idle. If so that's Def piston slap.

honestly, in your video i do not hear anything to worry about. that 'diesel' sound is quite common with these engines. what oil are you using? i have read that a slightly thicker oil will quiet them up a bit.

honestly, in your video i do not hear anything to worry about. that 'diesel' sound is quite common with these engines. what oil are you using? i have read that a slightly thicker oil will quiet them up a bit.

Try Lucas additive, you can get it at the auto parts store. I use it in mine, i like to think it helps... its still running.

I'm using 10W30 Mobil 1 conventional oil.

It doesnt matter if it is warm or not as far as the sound goes...it is always there. But it does go away with higher rpm. It doesnt sound like piston slap to me, piston slap is usually a little higher pitched, BUT I will take that into consideration.

I will try the oil additive to see if it helps at all. valve train looked fine.

I know for a fact it is coming from the valvetrain. (you dont sound like an ass asking that)

honestly it just sounds to me like the valvetrain is a little dry, it sounds very similar to when you replace cams and you first start up the motor. I had a friend look at it a while back and he said that because the motor was a little tired it wasn't getting enough oil to the drivetrain during idle.
Now I dont know if that is true or not, I have never owned a vehicle with a motor that had more than 120k so I have never had that issue.

Anyway, thank you all very much for your suggestions, I will try them out and see if it helps.

ok good, because it was an honest question. many members on here including myself, use thicker oils, even 20w-50. and since you and me both are pretty much neighbors, you know its a pretty warm area and i dont see using a little thicker oil being a problem. i also use lucas in my XJ and have nothing bad to say about it.

'94-'95 come equipped with that noise from the factory. My 94 has been making that sound since new ... 150,000 miles and counting.

Back