• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sport Trac 8.8???

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
I found an 8.8 with 4.10s and LS out of a 02 Ford Sport Trac for $80. It is drums, but does anyone know if there is any difference b/w this axle and the one in an Explorer?

Only thing that worries me is the truck has 190,000 miles and he says he replaced the spiders before.

The only part of the tag he could read was L10 so I am assuming it is a 4L10 but will have to go look at it in person I guess.

Go for it if it's 4.10s and LSD. While you are counting the teeth, pop a shaft out (you will need a 5/16" box wrench* and possibly a little heat) and make sure it is 31 spline. Also make sure it's an 8.8 not a 7.5.

* should be a good quality, non ratcheting box wrench, 6 point preferred. Ratcheting ones won't fit in the recess and lousy quality ones will round the corners off the head.

I am really not familiar with these axles....what do I have to take off to get the shaft out? I am only familiar with D30s as that is the only one I have taken apart as of yet. How many teeth should the ring gear have for 4.10? What does the LS look like?

41 teeth on the ring, 10 on the pinion.

To get a shaft out -
* remove two bolts holding brake caliper on. Pop brake caliper off rotor.
* remove rotor.
* remove diff cover
* turn carrier till a small bolt on the side of the center carrier is visible.
* hold carrier stable somehow to keep it from turning. I usually use a wooden broomstick jammed between the carrier and the housing as a lever, if you use anything metal, don't hit the ring or pinion teeth with it.
* heat area between the bolt head and the end of the cross shaft (metal circle about 1/2" to 3/4" diameter) for a minute or two with a small torch. aim the flame away from the ring gear.
* unscrew the bolt, remove
* turn the carrier till the end of the cross shaft is pointing straight out. Reach behind the carrier and push the other end of the cross shaft in, which will push the cross shaft out toward you. Once the cross shaft starts moving (while it's about halfway out), turn the carrier about 45 degrees, then watch as you pull it out more. Only pull it out till the end you aren't holding is roughly flush with the gear it goes through, or you will get to put the spider and side gears back in when you're done.
* push the axleshaft in till the c-clip falls off and drops down into the diff.
* pull axleshaft out, count splines
* reverse steps. Putting the c-clip back on is mildly annoying, push the axleshaft all the way in, put the c-clip on it and hold it in place while pulling the axleshaft back out. Then once it seats in the side gear, push the cross shaft back into the carrier and reinstall the bolt (may have to pull the cross shaft out and turn it slightly again to get the hole through it to line up.)

The LSD carrier is more "square" than the open carrier. I had some side by side pics of the two around that I posted in another thread but I can't find it now.

I am really not familiar with these axles....what do I have to take off to get the shaft out? I am only familiar with D30s as that is the only one I have taken apart as of yet. How many teeth should the ring gear have for 4.10? What does the LS look like?

Strange that an 02 axle would have drums, I thought they all went discs by then, unless the sport trac axle is different.

To check the spline count you'll need to remove the differential cover, then pull a c-clip to release the shaft.

a limited slip will look like clutches (think brake pad amterial) and steels sandwhiched in between. If it's got 190K miles on it then the LSD is probably clapped out.

Head over to ranger nation or something and ask about that sport trac axle. They're more familiar than us, most of th tech here is focused solely on the explorer axle because we know it works.

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I am going to jump on it and try to pick it up this weekend. Now if this works out I need a 4.10 front axle.

4 banger 5 speed to be specific. A 4 speed will probably have 3.55s in it, and if you get really lucky and find a 4cyl with an auto it may have 4.56s.

Mother F@#$@# sold it out from under me. Back to the drawing board. Anyone have a D30 with 3.55s?

I need a front axle the most but I was hoping to end up with a better rear in the process with better gearing. I have an 8.25 with 3.55s but my front D30 blew up so I was hoping to find an 8.8 with 4.10s then either find a front with 4.10s or get a new carrier and ring/pinion and fix the front.

Back