• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear coil conversion??

xj1999sport

NAXJA Forum User
What's the cheapest route to do a coil conversion in the rear? I'm tired of leaf springs any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

the only companies I know of with this kit are Clayton, rockkrawler ,TNT(?)and none of them are cheap, but if it's what you really want you can either shell out the cash for them. or build your own.

I want more flex because before my front is flexed out a back tire will lift. I don't know if there's any other way to solve this. If there is im open for any options.

I want more flex because before my front is flexed out a back tire will lift. I don't know if there's any other way to solve this. If there is im open for any options.
What is your current setup? Leafs can flex just fine but often need to be tuned. What does your shackle angle look like? Shackle plays a big part of flex.

For the cost of a coil conversion, you could get some sweet leaves made up and have a stable setup out back with plenty of flex.

And what would be a good choice on new leaves??

Contact Alcan and they will build a custom set for you.

If your front flexes like mad but the rear leafs don't move enough, it's partially due to the front springs being too soft.

What front springs are you running?

Also, are you running the stock shackle or you do have longer ones?

They're 4.5 inch RC springs and I have rugged ridge extended shackles. The RC coils up front are pretty stiff but flex quite a bit and I'm limited due to the leaves.

They're 4.5 inch RC springs and I have rugged ridge extended shackles. The RC coils up front are pretty stiff but flex quite a bit and I'm limited due to the leaves.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244565537&postcount=4

155lbs for a 4.5" spring is pretty soft. I can pretty much assure you that if you went to a stiffer coil in the front, the rear would flex a lot more. BDS makes great coils that are 240lbs. For other coil spring rates, check out this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/springs-heights-their-spring-rates-613756/

How many leaves are in your pack? Is it currently sitting at your desired height? The other thing you could try is taking out a leaf to soften up the rear to get it to flex more.

It's all about balance, so you may have to try a few things to get it right. Do a search on the subject and you should find lots of info. Here'sa one thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=939952&highlight=front+stiff+springs

That said, if you want to do a rear coil over conversion, go for it. It is costly though and good fab skills are needed. You might be better off trying a few other things first that are less cost and time intensive.

Last edited:
That said, if you want to do a rear coil over conversion, go for it. It is costly though and good fab skills are needed. You might be better off trying a few other things first that are less cost and time intensive.

Not to mention, when you start a thread about the "cheapest route" you probably don't have anywhere near enough knowledge to actually design and build it. There is way more to setting up a coil suspension than you are ever going to learn in a single thread on this forum. Read, read, read...and read some more.

Contact deaver our alcan to get a sweet set of leaves. Check out HD Offroad Engineering's shackle relocation brackets if your shackle angle needs some help.

The cheapest rear coil conversion, unless you can do your own fab work, would probably involve selling your xj, picking up a cheap zj, and outfitting it with a lift from iron rock offroad. Plus the zj seats are comfy!

Last edited:
The cheapest rear coil conversion, unless you can do your own fab work, would probably involve selling your xj, picking up a cheap zj, and outfitting it with a lift from iron rock offroad. Plus the zj seats are comfy!

x2. If you really want coils, just start with a vehicle that already has that platform, and then add a lift. So many similarities between the ZJ and the XJ, but some big differences that you may or may not want to change while in there doing the lift (axles, transfer case, etc.) Good luck with whatever you decide.

Just link it and be done. you'll be glad you did.

mms_picture18.jpg

mms_picture19.jpg

Just link it and be done. you'll be glad you did.

Fawk lower control arms hanging below the framerails.

Actually fawk links on a full body rig. What a pain in the ass.

Where the fawk are you going to go with a ull body rig and links that you're not going to get with a $200 Aussie locker and leaf springs in the rear? Nowhere. Where you going? Fawking nowhere.

Back