• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help-fill tube in 242 case

m82mike

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I was refilling the transfer case (2000 242 selectrack) and the 4in. soft plastic tube came off the bottle and went in the case.
Do I need to get to a dealer and have the case opened, or drive and drain and drian again till the pieces are all out?

Help!

OK, I was refilling the transfer case (2000 242 selectrack) and the 4in. soft plastic tube came off the bottle and went in the case.
Do I need to get to a dealer and have the case opened, or drive and drain and drian again till the pieces are all out?

I wouldn't recommend driving it if possible - you'd probably be OK for a short distance, but I'd be concerned about the tube that fell in getting mangled and having bits of it subsequently block the oil pump pickup in the transfer case. That would be bad.

Try this: remove the drain and fill plugs and let the case empty itself. Get a light and shine it in both the upper and lower plug holes. If you can see the tube from either one, take a shot at fishing it out whichever way looks most expedient and least-likely to leave bits of it in there. Something like this would probably be helpful for fishing it out.

Good luck - that really sucks.

1. Do I need to get to a dealer and have the case opened or 2. drive and drain and drian again till the pieces are all out?

Help!

Option 1. Maybe, unless you can get a coat hanger in there and fish around for it. You may have to drain it and fish around from the bottom.

Option 2. No, don't do that. The plastic could bind up the chain and your t-case will grenade (but then it would be open).

Anyone done this? How'd you fix it??

Worst case is taking the case off and splitting it apart

I would try to get it out first. Maybe you can use some hemostats or small pliars to grab it, or maybe you can "rinse" it out with more fluid

That is how I would go at it.

flashlight and mirror first.
might, maybe be 'right there'.
if it floats, that helps.

Go slow and carefull,

GOOD LUCK,
Orange

(If you haven't already driven it) I'd imagine draining the case should leave the piece of tubing sitting right in front of the drain hole as it is at just about the lowest point of the transfer case. This is with the chain and sprockets removed, but here's what you're woriking with...

TCLift09.jpg

And this is what the backside of the drain hole looks like, there will be a oil pick up screen in the rectangular shaped slot midway down the hole. Hopefully the piece you dropped didn't get hung up on the chain or the oil pick up tube.

And for those of you wondering, yes the second picture is from my "oops" album and yes it did leak with that RTV job...

If it did get stuck in the chain, you can get the front wheels off the ground and spin the front driveshaft with your hands to try and dislodge it. Watch through the fill/drain holes till you see it go by, then coathangar or pliers should retrieve it.

I have actually done this before, on an np242. Well, I was using a hand pump and the stupid attachment (with the spurs that stick out) went into the fill hole. I had just finished pulling the case apart and replacing the worn chain (under the vehicle in 100F + weather).

So I got to pull it all back apart and pull the cap out, reseal, and replace.

IMO, it is not a huge deal to pull the case apart and that is what I would do if you can't pull it out of the fill hole. Not worth the risk of damaging the case.

Ben

I was wondering how this turned out for the OP. Looking at his profile, I don't think he's even logged back in to see the responses...

Back