• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Done with K&N

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
Having had a K&N filter on 2 jeeps I am done. Whatever gain is created by these filters is not worth having all the crap they allow into the throttle body. More airflow = more crap. That's my observation and I'm sticking with it.

K&N are proven to let more dust or small particulates in, along with coating intake with oil residue. Look at the Amsoil Dry Ea Nanofiber Filters... Very good air filter, they are dry, and require no cleaning/conditioning and last 5 years.

I agree that you are going to loose some of the filtering ability in order to gain the "high flow" that KN claims. I have a hard time pointing the finger solely at a properly oiled and maintained filter for being the cause of deposits and crud in the intake and TB.

If its over oiled then yes I agree that it will shed oil up the intake tract causing problems. Perfect example is on GM cars with the Mass Air Sensor getting coated inside causing tons of drivablilty issues from the oil affecting the readings it generates.

I was looking for the OP to clarify what problems he is having with them that he is swearing them off now. I have come across a more than one renix era XJ like he has in his SIG that would suck oil thru the crankcase vent into the airbox/air tube and leave heavy deposits in the TB causing poor MPG and performance across the board.

Not sure, but I know the Cummins clearly states NOT to use these on their engines for the exact reason the OP stated.

I ripped the one out of my truck as soon as I got it.

Yeah... that will happen with a high flow filter. Only two ways to flow more air, make the element surface area larger or make it pass more air per square inch, which means it also passes larger particles.

Yep, I had the same issues with mine. I would always find a ton of dust/crud in my throttle body. I switched to an Amsoil cone filter about 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

As with most of the people here, I do made the switch away from oiled type filters. The oil isn't good for any downstream sensors either.

I find a lot of cars come into my shop with K&Ns and they have driveability issues because the oil and dirt contaminates the MAF and causes it to run lean. A lot of times you just get negative driveability issues with no check engine light. I have 3 vehicles and I'd never run K&N on them. If you take the intake boot off the T-Body a lot of times you can see the varnish and build up around the lip of the T-Body. I can understand how manufacturers use pleated paper air cleaners over K&N because one you replace and one you have to maintain and typically K&N type filters make more intake noise. But I have a Mustang GT, its over head cam the filter is routed from the factory to get cool air from the fender. If you know how much engineering goes into making everything correct and efficient on newer cars a manufacturer isn't going to leave out 8 hp because of a simple air filter.

stock oiled filters are the best. My MJ likes them so much it converts every stock non oiled filter I give it into a stock oiled filter:

(this post not to be taken seriously. I replaced the filter and there was an immediate improvement in throttle response)

I have a hard time pointing the finger solely at a properly oiled and maintained filter for being the cause of deposits and crud in the intake and TB.

Well, I have an easy time pointing the finger solely at a properly oiled K&N, after all the mud and dirt I found upstream of the filter on only one outing.

Yes, stock for the win.

stock oiled filters are the best. My MJ likes them so much it converts every stock non oiled filter I give it into a stock oiled filter:

(this post not to be taken seriously. I replaced the filter and there was an immediate improvement in throttle response)
LOL i have one of the self oiling filters too! ;)

K&N are proven to let more dust or small particulates in, along with coating intake with oil residue. Look at the Amsoil Dry Ea Nanofiber Filters... Very good air filter, they are dry, and require no cleaning/conditioning and last 5 years.

If they require no cleaning or conditioning, what are they filtering? :wave:

Yep, I had the same issues with mine. I would always find a ton of dust/crud in my throttle body. I switched to an Amsoil cone filter about 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

My point exactly.

If they require no cleaning or conditioning, what are they filtering? :wave:
They do require cleaning, and they are washable. :wave: You just don't have to oil them.

all this talk makes me wanna pull apart my TB and see how dirty it is.

How many of you run the pre-filters?

Back