• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Sag

CJ96xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just got new tires, 235/70/16 BFG AT KO's and this made me realize how much my rear sags. I have a 96 XJ 4.0. What's the best thing to fix to raise it up without a lift? Shocks or leafs or is there another cheap fix? Thanks

Replace the OEM leafs with OEM leafs.

You could get another set of old OEM leafs and add a leaf to your current pair, but that would likely result in a little bit of lift.

Pretty simple.

Search "bastard pack", there a lot of threads/write ups.

If you do a full replacement pack the bolts may be rusty and could give you trouble. I was able to get mine out fine though. Get a 21mm box wrench, a breaker bar, and a 21mm socket if you don't have those already.

Yeah ive heard of those bolts breaking... I hope they dont on me. Who would you suggest has the best quality for price on the leafs?

I actually used helper springs from autozone. They were like 30 bucks or less and actually helped the sag a lot!

Yeah ive heard of those bolts breaking... I hope they dont on me. Who would you suggest has the best quality for price on the leafs?

I got my HD leaf springs from Quadratec recently, good prices and they didn't charge me any extra shipping fees for the leafs. They have just normal OEM or OEM HD springs to pick from.

Monroe Load-Leveler Shocks

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_loadlevel.cfm

They work great, I have used them on 3 sagging rears & they work just as advertised, with no ill effects.
+ If you also need to replace your rear shocks,
You kill 2 birds with one ($123 a pair shipped) Stone

+1 I didn't want to put any sort of lift on my XJ since it's my DD. I threw these shocks on about 2 weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. The rear end got boosted up to within 1/2" of stock height and has improved my visibility when pulling into parking spots and tight trails. :clap:

I just did a bastard pack with another pair of xj springs to cure my sag. I ended up with what appears to be about 3" of lift and it was a ton of work and parts collecting. Unless you're really into DIY and parts collecting it would probably be better to just get a pair of stock replacement springs because you know they'll be the right ride height and you won't have to run around finding another pair of springs, cutting things ups, getting new center pins, leaf clamps, etc.

On the other hand, I really like the stance now:

xjlift.jpg

Back