• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Gear oil leak

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Doing routine maintenance today,found gear oil leak coming out of "frame" forward of the DS leaf spring.
I know the vent for the axle goes up into that area,but there has never been any oil in that area before,
Oil level in rear (D44 w/Detroit locker) has not been added to in months-level has always been below the fill plug as is required--

Only change has been the recent cold weather---IIRC the thru bolt for the vent was shortened to keep this from happening--- running 85-140 Valvoline gear lube.
Anyone else having this problem in cold weather ?

Thanks,

Go through any deep water? Maybe you sucked a bunch of water in there raising your level.

X2 on water. I would drain it out ASAP and find out, water in the diff is a real good way to end up spending more money on repairs than you wanted to.

Manual or automatic? Probably no way it could have come from the tranny but I have to ask.

Doing routine maintenance today,found gear oil leak coming out of "frame" forward of the DS leaf spring.
I know the vent for the axle goes up into that area,but there has never been any oil in that area before,
Oil level in rear (D44 w/Detroit locker) has not been added to in months-level has always been below the fill plug as is required--

Only change has been the recent cold weather---IIRC the thru bolt for the vent was shortened to keep this from happening--- running 85-140 Valvoline gear lube.
Anyone else having this problem in cold weather ?

Thanks,

How cold is the weather down there?

85-140 seems awfully thick doesn't it?

How cold is the weather down there?

85-140 seems awfully thick doesn't it?

X2,thats thick for the condtions,85-140 is only recommened for extreme towing.

Well recent Nov-Dec temps have been colder than normal--teens/20s at night-30s.40s most days.
Oil on frame was clear--smell test determined it was gear lube----thought it could have been water considering the recent snow fall <1/2" but no other frame holes had any weepage .

You could aways pop open your fill plug to get an idea of the fluid level.

Wayne, my XJ has never been through water since I have owned it and it has the same thing. I would check the level and fluid just in case but I don't think it is a big deal.

Back