• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear manufacturer recommendations (ring and pinion)

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I'm finally starting to move forward on my bench build of my axles and now need to choose a supplier of gears for each... I'll be sticking with a Dana 30 up front (high pinion), however, I'm hoping to get a Dana 44 for the rear to replace the 29-spline 8.25" I bought for this project.

In any case, who would you recommend for each? I'm getting the feeling that it'll be hard to beat proper Dana/Spicer ring and pinion sets - would I be correct? I know a lot of manufacturers have gotten cheap and outsourced production, and I'm hoping to "do it once and do it right".

Of course, Dana/Spicer doesn't make R&P kits for the 8.25", so opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

why ditch the 29 spline 8.25? what ratios and tire size do you want?

i run yukon 4.56 gears in my 30/8.25

yukon/randy's r&p they set up nice, come with good instructions, and have the pinion depth labeled on the pinion clearly

X2, why ditch the 8.25? More common spare parts, toss a disc brake setup on it for like 70 bucks at the junkyard and you can even limp off an obstacle with a broken shaft if you have to. The axle tubes are stronger than xjd44 tubes iirc, I know they're larger diameter but not sure on wall thickness. I would run a 29 spline 8.25 on 35s without a second thought.

Oh, and there aren't any carrier bearing shims, it uses side adjusters, which means fewer setup bearings required.

Superior, Yukon, Nitro.. can't really go wrong with any of those

What is the general opinion about USA Standard? I know they are not warrantied for noise complaints and that does not sit well with me, I can't see a loud gearset having well machined surfaces which makes me worry about wear.

Anything but Genuine Gear/G2.

Not sure if anything has changed in the last few years, but this advice was right on the money. I knew two small-business gear installers that avoided Gen-u-whine gears because they didn't want the hassle of all their issues.

What is the general opinion about USA Standard? I know they are not warrantied for noise complaints and that does not sit well with me, I can't see a loud gearset having well machined surfaces which makes me worry about wear.

I personally install about 10 of these a month and sell about 20 per month. I would install USA standard before the N brand. EXPECIALLY in a HPD30!

I was exclusive to one brand when I first started my offical company, everything was good except for the D30 high pinion. They would not setup at all with a ARB. No way No How, and they knew it, but they continued to box them. The ring gear was too thick and you couldnt get backlash with them and a ARB. Have to be a installer to understand why, without a Huge tech write up on that one...

As to superior, well most of thier product is from the same manufacture as Motive, and alot of those are the same as others.

G2 are now much better then ever in the past, but I still will not install a set unless its 100% no other way.

Yukon, US Gear, Dana/Spicer, and SOME Richmond are the best you can buy I feel. Of those Yukon are the best priced. In a Jeep (or most others even) I would run a USA standard due to saving $. As for noise I am 90% sure that disclaimer is there so that they dont get any returns on that line. USA standard is the lil brother to Yukon and both belong to Randy, who typically boxes Yukon gears in the USA standard boxes. Just so that they have a lower cost alt. and they dont loose a sale, they just dont make as much $ on the sale.

In todays market, any major label branding are just fine I feel. ITS THE INSTALL that matters.

Edit.. Quick note. Open 99% of all D60, D44 and 14bolt USA standard Gear Sets and you will find a YG (Yukon Gear) part number.

Last edited:
Back