• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 to 95 Trans swap????

Explorer 1

NAXJA Forum User
Have a good friend on a very tight budget. Most of his fixes are done by finding usable parts in junk yards. His 95 Xj has about 250,000 miles and has served him well as a week end off road vehicle and a secord car for his daughters drive to and from college.

Recently his automatic transmission stop shifting and for a few months it has sat in his driveway and he now is walking to work so his daughter has the other car.

I recently aquired for free a really beautiful 87 XJ with only 94,000 original miles with just about every upgrade option available at the time. Unfortunately, it sufferend a engine fire and we are parting it out. I was thinking of giving the transmission and transfer case as a package to my friend to swap out the broken trans and most likley tired 231 transfer case.

The 87 has a 242 case but since we would be doing both the transmission and T-case as a packege I think it would work.

Any other issues that we would have to address or would it just not work for some other reason?

We're in California so we would still have to pass smog and a "check engine" light is a automatic disqualifer.

Thanks is advance for your help,

Fred
Explorer 1

yep it will work fine.

You also need to swap the shift gate and bezel for the TC, but that is easy.

Use the flexplate from the 95 and the torque converter + tranny + transfer case from the 87.

You got lucky, donor one year older or receiving vehicle one year newer and you would have to swap more parts or buy things.

Thanks to both of you, I'll let my friend know. As soon as I'm back on my feet and have some of my strength back we'll schedule it as a party at my home/shop and invite the guys from the off-road group over. Since the donor trans an T-Case is already out, we should be able to knock this out in 2 or three evenings.

You guys are a great source and your help has been greatly appreciated.:clap::clap::clap:

Fred
Explorer 1

Back