• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough idle, dies when I give it gas

*xj-man*

NAXJA Forum User
Any clues? I have a 1994 Cherokee and I'm having the hardest time trying to figure it out. So far I've replaced

O2 sensor
Every sensor on the throttle body
Fuel Filter
TPS

Heres the problem: Starts fine runs for about 4 seconds, until it begins to idle then either has a rough idle or it dies. Usually it runs slightly better whenever its colder but not for long. However whenever I press on the gas it almost automatically dies.

Check your map sensor, and the little vacuum tube going to it

Hmm...

What TESTING have you done?

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and post up the numbers.

1. Always review tuneup hardware when symptomatic. Fresh champion copper plugs, new wires, cap, rotor.

2. Testing fuel pressure is one of the first things that should be done. Could be something else, but proper fuel delivery should be ruled in or out early in the game. You can rent a gauge if you don't have access to one from a parts store for a few bucks.

Haven't really done much testing, I checked the fuel rail and it does have fuel pressure.
I replaced the fuel pump in the summer but that doesnt mean its not bad..
I also replaced the plugs about 4 weeks ago.
and it does backfire occansionaly but once or twice

Checked the MAP sensor and thats fine.

Last edited:
Still gotta verify fuel pressure............rent a gauge. Can't tell anything by just looking for fuel pressure at the rail. Must be measured.

As you mentioned, just because you replaced the pump last summer doesn't mean that fuel delivery is in spec. Newer parts fail all the time. What brand pump did you use? Just curious..............

Post up the pressure numbers.

If you replace, stay away from Airtex pumps if there are other options at the parts stores. Not the best choice in my opinion (and other threads on this and other XJ forums back this up).

Post up the pressure numbers.

If you replace, stay away from Airtex pumps if there are other options at the parts stores. Not the best choice in my opinion (and other threads on this and other XJ forums back this up).

IMHO Bosch is the only pump worth a damn. www.rockauto.com has some great sales on them a couple times a year--last spare I bought for my 90 was $72 to my door!!

Back