• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to keep for my heep

ieatmud

NAXJA Forum User
Gotta 94 4.0 AW4 242. Had given to me 91 2.1 turbo des 5spd. I intend to just ripp everything I can use off the 91 and melt the rest down to make medical alert braclets. Anyone know just what I can or should keep? Thanks in advance

Gotta 94 4.0 AW4 242. Had given to me 91 2.1 turbo des 5spd. I intend to just ripp everything I can use off the 91 and melt the rest down to make medical alert braclets. Anyone know just what I can or should keep? Thanks in advance

Melt the 2.1TD ;) Good engine, just not in the XJ. Out of curiosity, which transmission and transfer case are behind that motor?

Interior and body parts should be a one-to-one swap. Mechanically, you'll run into spline count issues with axles and driveshafts.

Casm, thanks for the quick reply. Im not sure whats under there. I live in norway and theres 20 thousand feet of snow out there so I cant crawl under it till spring.

Casm, thanks for the quick reply. Im not sure whats under there. I live in norway and theres 20 thousand feet of snow out there so I cant crawl under it till spring.

No worries :) To be honest, it's kind of a difficult question to answer since the 2.1TD was only sold in the US between 1985 and 1988 - and even then in small numbers; I can't recall ever seeing more than two or three 2.1TD XJs in the 12 years I've been in the US.

Things I would assume (dangerous word, I know) would not transfer over: anything engine-related, including the ECU if it has one. Radiator (probably the same on the 2.1TD as on a 2.5 4-cylinder gas model). Fuel tank and lines, though I'd almost expect to be wrong on that. Wiring harness, at least to the engine.

Other than that... Wait for spring and take photos ;)

BTW the t case doesnt have full time 4wd so im assuming its a 241?

NP231 if it goes 2WD, 4 Part-Time, N, 4LO.

Are you sure that isn't the VM 2.5 TD?

If it was a European export model that is the engine it should have.

Are you sure that isn't the VM 2.5 TD?

If it was a European export model that is the engine it should have.

Depends on the year - my recollection is that the first year for the VM 2.5TD was 1994, but that was for RHD EU markets; LHD ones it may have got it earlier. FWIW, the Renault 2.1TD was never an engine option in RHD markets after official sales started there in 1993 or so.

Either way, the Renault 2.1TD probably would have continued to have been used by Chrysler for certain export markets even after buying out Renault's share in AMC but prior to the VM 2.5TD hitting the market. The engineering work to fit the 2.1TD had already been done, and given how many of those engines Renault cranked out over their lifetime they likely had a low purchase cost. That's all speculation on my behalf, though.

Back