• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Alternative?

tdkask

NAXJA Forum User
I saw this driveshaft from Adams Driveshaft.com on EvilPay and wonder if anyone has tried it? It is supposed to fix driveline angles and eliminate vibrations in lifted XJs by introducing a CV joint. It doesn't seem to address whether it uses a slip joint. Any got any info or ideas on this?

I saw this driveshaft from Adams Driveshaft.com on EvilPay and wonder if anyone has tried it?

Oh, hey. Haven't seen that in a while. Glad to see they're using the same photos; made it easy to remember them.

It is supposed to fix driveline angles and eliminate vibrations in lifted XJs by introducing a CV joint. It doesn't seem to address whether it uses a slip joint. Any got any info or ideas on this?

It retains the slip yoke. All it does is stick a CV joint at the end of it.

If this was a good idea, the SYE market would have dried up years ago.

it would help in some ways, not in others. you would rotate your pinion up to run with it, which would help with some vibration and driveline clearance at the rocks (just a little bit..).

however, the CV is waaaay back on the end of a slip yoke, that does not have a bearing at the output - so it would be VERY prone to vibration.

it also would mean the distance from the CV to the axle is shorter than with an SYE, so the angles themselves would be steeper - could hurt and not help at some lift heights.

also, if you bust a drive shaft, you cant just unbolt it and drive out on the front end.

An SYE will remove the rear output housing, and put the CV assembly itself about 4" forward of where theirs does.

.. If you're going to spend the money, spend a bit more and do it right the first time.

The only thing that would make that better is if it were made with square receiver hitch tubing.

casm said:
If this was a good idea, the SYE market would have dried up years ago.
If something seems to good to be true.....

Figures. Always seems to be the case.

Maybe a little better than stock, but not worth the money. Regardless of the t-case I end up with, I think I want to use a yoke style SYE and hope to reutilize a front DS so I can carry one spare, maybe a yoke like suggested to me in this thread made by IronRockOffroad (seen here). My goal will be as many improvements with PnP parts as possible, as long as its a reasonable improvement and not a waste of money in the long run.

Says it is intended for the 242.

At least it is an option other than the H&T.

Says it is intended for the 242.

At least it is an option other than the H&T.

Other than a step or two away from cutting the tailshaft, you're most of the way there to a Hack 'n Tap.....

However, this kit does nothing to address lengthening the driveshaft / shortening the tailshaft; which contribute to better driveline operating angles....

The original Adam's one at the top, or the Iron Rock Offroad? The Iron Rock one is a H&T, it seems, but with a yoke instead of flange, which would allow the reuse of a stock front DS. There's more discussion in the thread cited, so I'm not trying to drag that here... just commented on how I probably will go with that so I can use yoke and front DS.

Back