• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't start, need ideas

mflueras

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished installing some home made battery main cables in my 99 XJ 4.0. I used 1/0 all around: battery to PDC, PDC to Alternator, Battery to starter, Battery (-) to fender, Battery (-) to coil, Body to rear block stud ground. I used a big buss fuse to eliminate the fuseable link in the alternator wire. Went to crank it and it just cranks and cranks.

Things I have tested:
Fuel pump. It seems fine. Shorted out relay, pump comes on, can hear it run when ignition is turned on.
ASD relay. Should be fine since I swapped relays around with starter, fuel pump, and asd.
Spark: put a spare plug in a wire boot and I can see the spark when cranking.
Went over all the wires, tested the connections and they are all good
All fuses are good in PDC and Junction Box.

CPS is pretty new, hardly any miles on it. I replaced it thinking it was bad when the fuel pump went out.

It is possible that I may have wiggled the CPS plug on the intake when installing my HD ground strap replacement. I rotated the injector around and may have rubbed up on the CPS pigtail. Not hard enough to damage anything but it did happen. I disconnected and reconnected the CPS, still nothing.

I did have a discharged battery but it sat on the charger all night and came back to life. It's a optima yellowtop that's about to be replaced. It's new but cannot seem to hold a charge more than a few days.

I need ideas.

You need to check the air-tires? That's where the power is generated!

Just because crank sensor is "new" does not mean it cannot be bad.

A bad battery or disconnecting the battery for an extended period of time deletes the idle settings in the PCM. You may have to use the gas pedal to get the engine to start. A 5-10 minute drive will restore the PCM memory and it will idle normally.

Test the CPS if you think it bad.

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (See Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Pull a plug and see if it is wet fouled.

NSS is good-reverse lights come on, won't crank but in neutral and park, CPS tests good, coil tests good, have spark, have fuel. Checked cap, rotor, wires, plugs, all are normal. Battery is fully charged, I don't know what else to look at.

after cranking, is there a fuel smell at the tail pipe?

did you knock off the coil wire? a ground not attatched?

This sounds crazy, but check the temp sensor on the front of the intake manifold. I had that disconnected once, and my 96 XJ wouldn't start. Connected it and it fired right up.

Back