• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High steer w/ factory sway bars

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I finally found a Waggy 44 that I'm going to put in my junk. My two main goals with this build is to run highsteer and put my factory sway bars back on with JKS discos. I have the discos, highsteer arms and steering links but it's not all together and it's rather difficult to get it all mocked up with out it being under the Jeep. I'd like to have it almost finished before I take my 30 out...

The only way I see that I can run the factory sway bar is to move it forward and have the mounts in front of the tie rod... but that would defeat the purpose of high steer.

If I moved it back and had the mount for the links in top of the tubes I'd have to use a shorter swaybar so it would fit between the coils...

Do any of you run the configuration? If so, how about some pictures?

Thanks in advance. ~A

I am currently in the middle of setting up a HP 44 for my ZJ right now and have been working on this lately. The sway bar brackets and shock tabs are all I have left to weld up. Unfortunately lots of time at work, plus nasty weather put a hold on it the last few days.

Anyway, my 44 is a 79 F250 HP44, narrowed to just slightly wider than waggy width(.6"). Ive mocked up the mounts at least and it looks like I can use my stock sway bar, but may need different discos. I run a set of Teraflex non adj discos right now that are slightly too long, and may need shorter or adjustable discos. I havent gotten that far yet honestly.

These are what Im using:
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop...LJ-XJ-Sway-Bar-Relocation-Bracket-p-2079.html

I did not notice they were sold individually on the web site and only ordered one, otherwise they would both be welded on already, but the delay in waiting for the second one let the snow slip in and put a nice stand still to my project for a bit. I also had to order new high steer arms since the ones I had ended up not being what I wanted. The arms and other bracket should be here this week. If the weather cooperates, I hope to have the mounts done by next weekend and the axle/suspension/steering permanently installed by the weekend after. Assuming its not super cold and snowy, otherwise Ill just stay inside :D

Here are some pics of my ZJ build if you want to see what Im working with, but dont have any pics yet of the sway bar setup.

http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/mrfreeze555/ZJ Overhaul/

Last edited:
That is a good question. When I built my HP44 I had purchased a set of JKS extended axle side sway bar mounts. When it came time to put it all together, I never found a good place to mount it that wouldn't interfere, so I just ran without it. I've been thinking about putting a sway bar back on recently, and would be interested to hear what you/anyone else has come up with.

Holy crap those are expensive!

Here's what I did, although I don't have pics of the axle installed.
fab008-1.jpg

I am currently in the middle of setting up a HP 44 for my ZJ right now and have been working on this lately. The sway bar brackets and shock tabs are all I have left to weld up. Unfortunately lots of time at work, plus nasty weather put a hold on it the last few days.

Anyway, my 44 is a 79 F250 HP44, narrowed to just slightly wider than waggy width(.6"). Ive mocked up the mounts at least and it looks like I can use my stock sway bar, but may need different discos. I run a set of Teraflex non adj discos right now that are slightly too long, and may need shorter or adjustable discos. I havent gotten that far yet honestly.

These are what Im using:
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop...LJ-XJ-Sway-Bar-Relocation-Bracket-p-2079.html

I did not notice they were sold individually on the web site and only ordered one, otherwise they would both be welded on already, but the delay in waiting for the second one let the snow slip in and put a nice stand still to my project for a bit. I also had to order new high steer arms since the ones I had ended up not being what I wanted. The arms and other bracket should be here this week. If the weather cooperates, I hope to have the mounts done by next weekend and the axle/suspension/steering permanently installed by the weekend after. Assuming its not super cold and snowy, otherwise Ill just stay inside :D

Here are some pics of my ZJ build if you want to see what Im working with, but dont have any pics yet of the sway bar setup.

http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/mrfreeze555/ZJ Overhaul/

I like those mounts. Those are nice. I might be able to get those to work. It all really depends on where my coils end up. Like I said the factory sway bar is almost exactly as wide as the seperation between the coil buckets... I don't want the sway bar hitting the coils.

You did say I could have this, didn't you?
IMAG0045.jpg

This is how ya do it... They go on the inner knuckles and clear the steering components.

http://www.teraflex.biz/dana-30-swaybar-mounts-pair.html#first

Those are supposed to work with the factory width sway bar? It doesn't seem like they would go far enough in...

Holy crap those are expensive!

Here's what I did, although I don't have pics of the axle installed.
fab008-1.jpg

I like this. Which sway bar did you use? Tho, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't clear my tie rod with the highsteer arms...

I guess about the only real way to do it is get the axle under the Jeep and line it all up...

Those are all some good ideas tho, I plan to put the other knuckle on, highsteer arms on and get the tie rod on so I can see what will clear...

I'll take pictures.

I'll see if I can find an installed pic. They come with the full Tera steering conversion and they work awesome on TJ, ZJ, and XJ applications. ;)

Here ya go...ignore the trackbar. I found these on Pirate where someone was complaining of bumpsteer after install, lol.

Rubi-steer-1.jpg

rubi-steer-2.jpg

Those look like they would work perfectly. I just put both knuckles on and sat the old ragely highsteer arms on top and turned to full lock. With the mounts right there it would come extremely close to hitting. I would have to do some major clearanceing. but it looks doable. Thanks for the link.

Am I reading this right? They want 103 bucks for a set of them?

Bare with me, it's still looks aweful. I've got a lot left to do to it... and yes my brilliant friend sat the highsteer arm on there backwards... lol

It looks to me at full lock with the highsteer arms it would hit those mounts... what'd ya think?

I wonder if my coils are situated too far forward...

503070934_photobucket_21365_.jpg

Last edited:
So, after staring at it for about an hour...

I like the way the teraflex brackets work but, like I said, it looks like my coil buckets sit too far forward for those to work and the highsteer arms will hit them.

What if I make brackets that work similar but put them inboard of the coils and make them longer. On the passenger side I could make the mount come off of the trackbar mount and on the passenger side I could weld the mount to the top of the truss and make them work basically just like the tera mounts. Now I just have to do it... still got lots of cleaning up to do.

Don't know if you've already figured this out, but how about these?

swaybarmountsDSC.jpg

Link shows some install pictures. I've been considering these and at $29, any reason not to use them? Anyone have these mounted up that can provide some feedback?

That is a good question. When I built my HP44 I had purchased a set of JKS extended axle side sway bar mounts. When it came time to put it all together, I never found a good place to mount it that wouldn't interfere, so I just ran without it. I've been thinking about putting a sway bar back on recently, and would be interested to hear what you/anyone else has come up with.
I was the same way, I wanted to put a swaybar back on the Jeep when I swapped in the 44, but I couldnt figure out how to get one to fit. Its surprising how little room is left over once you get the coils, panhard and steering put into place.

The mounts off the inner C would be great, but with highsteer on a 44, the steering arms are above the C, so I dont think they would work all that well.

I finally retired my Jeep to trailer queen so I no longer need the sway bar, but I would like to see if anyone else was able to get a swaybar on with highsteer.

edit:
This is my 44 with highsteer. It tucks up really high, leaving almost no room for anything else.
00315.jpg

I haven't done anything else to it since I made this thread. I saw the JKS mounts recently but unless the mounts stayed behind the draglink at full lock I just don't see how it would fit... It's all going to depend on your highsteer arms...

Any possibility of running the sway bar behind the axle? I know there's a lot going on back there and you'd have to make custom mounts, but I know TJ's run torsion-style sway bars in front or behind the rear axle.

Don't know if you've already figured this out, but how about these?

swaybarmountsDSC.jpg

Won't work with true high steer.

The biggest asset is going to be high steer arms with some distance from the ball joint center. Of course then you need a longer pitman arm, then it hits the trac bar....

It's a pita to fit a sway bar on a high steer coil front Jeep. I've never found something that works all the time. Usually it's the last thing I fit when designing.

Not sure if this pic helps. I put the sway bar mounts on the outside of the coil buckets. Worked good on my zj. I got the brackets from tnt. I did everything else first and setup the sway bar dead last. I worked but was very tight. The links ended up being angled slightly. Them bent brackets someone posted earlier would probly work perfect and straighten the angle out. To make everything clear I tryed a few different steering arms and ended up with parts mikes "long 44 arms" . I used a stock pitman arm w his arms and worked great. This was all on my .old zj but should be the same

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Those look like they would work perfectly. I just put both knuckles on and sat the old ragely highsteer arms on top and turned to full lock. With the mounts right there it would come extremely close to hitting. I would have to do some major clearanceing. but it looks doable. Thanks for the link.

Am I reading this right? They want 103 bucks for a set of them?

Bare with me, it's still looks aweful. I've got a lot left to do to it... and yes my brilliant friend sat the highsteer arm on there backwards... lol

It looks to me at full lock with the highsteer arms it would hit those mounts... what'd ya think?

I wonder if my coils are situated too far forward...

503070934_photobucket_21365_.jpg

I would center them coil buckets on top of the tube if it were me. My buckets were set forward like that on the tnt truss on the waggy 44 in my zj. I ran 36s on it w clayton long arms and had to push the frontend forward several inches to get the needed tire clearance from the back of the fender well. Which obiviously made the coils bow. And with the coils that far forward on the housing it made tie rod clearance and everything else a pain to setup. I ended up selling the rig to buy a house but was going to cut my buckets off and center them to make it right.

Aight! I'll keep that in mind. As you can probably tell I bought it that way. I was wondering that myself. I'm not sure what bracket kit that is but seems like they would have centered it up when they made the bracket kit. Coil buckets with link mounts aren't that much are they...

I know this is for a 30 but all of them are set forward like that...
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/XJ--TJ-Jeep-combo-bracket-upgrade-kit_p_1542.html

Back