• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 rear seal leaking

bigbear

NAXJA Forum User
Newbie here have a 91 w/AW4 with a NP231 this thing was a mess Leaked oil from every gasket replaced the rear seal in the t-case and within 10miles it was leaking again?? It had A 242 in it when new. Looks like the drive shaft is has been lengthend. Are there different Real seals for a 231?? Tag says Np231J

take a close look at the bushing that is behind the seal. make sure it is in decent shape. also look at the slip yoke on the drive shaft . make sure it is nice and smooth. no pits or big scratches.also i try to stay with a factory seal. they have a dust boot on the end.allways put a very small amount of atf on the slip yoke so the seal has a small amount of lube and wont burn up. hope this helps

leek.jpg

take a close look at the bushing that is behind the seal. make sure it is in decent shape. also look at the slip yoke on the drive shaft . make sure it is nice and smooth. no pits or big scratches.also i try to stay with a factory seal. they have a dust boot on the end.allways put a very small amount of atf on the slip yoke so the seal has a small amount of lube and wont burn up. hope this helps

Thanks for the info! When i had it out it didnt notice a bushing unless it around the shaft with the holes around it ?? The slip yoke looked fine. And i use the one with the dust boot. I can see it drip from the between seal lip and the yoke?? that why i asked if there are different seal diameter??

the bushing is pressed into the tail shaft. but if it scored it will leak.i looked at my parts book and 91 calls for only one seal size.the only other possibility is the seal may have been damaged while installing it or the seal is defective.

the bushing is pressed into the tail shaft. but if it scored it will leak.i looked at my parts book and 91 calls for only one seal size.the only other possibility is the seal may have been damaged while installing it or the seal is defective.

Well it was my fault was given the wrong seal ?? It was for just a trans. tail shaft not for the transfer case!! same OD but the ID is just a bit big and the seal is softer!!! . Its all good now and thanks for all the Help!!

Back