• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 new tire, one old, same axle, Aussie locker...

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a big freaking nail or other metallic object on the outside of my 35" BFG MT tire. I saw it there one day as I was working on the Jeep. I went to Discount Tire and the guy thought that it might be too big to repair. This is fine because I bought whatever warranty they sell to replace a damaged tire. After I found out that a replacement would be free, I realized that a brand new 35" tire would have much more tread than the 2 year old tires I have currently.

This concerns me because I have an Aussie in the rear and fear the small diameter difference will cause the Aussie to ratchet going straight down the road. I know it will because it does it when the punctured tire is getting lower on air. If it weren't leaking slowly then I wouldn't do anything about this, but it loses about 10 psi every 3 days or so.

If the tire store can't fix it, I suppose I could put the new tire on the front axle, but it also has a Lockright locker. I don't know if small differences in diameter would effect steering at all or not, but that's really my only concern there. I guess I'm just a little stumped on what to do about this. For now I am just keeping an eye on the tire pressure and refill it every few days. This is getting old in the freezing weather though and I bought the warranty for such instances like this, but now I'm hesitant to go through with it.

Am I over-thinking this or not? Let me know what you think I should do.

Chalk or masking tape. Mark the floor and sidewall. Roll the tire one full revolution, then mark the floor. Measure the distance.

Repeat all of the other tires. Put the two closest in diameter on the axle with the Aussie.

Have a cold beverage.

If you bought the road hazard on all four of your tires i was under the impression that if the tread depth difference was going to damage your differential they had to replace all four of your tires. Thats how it was explained to me at my local discount tire.

If you bought the road hazard on all four of your tires i was under the impression that if the tread depth difference was going to damage your differential they had to replace all four of your tires. Thats how it was explained to me at my local discount tire.

haha I wish.. but no they only replace whats damage and that's probably prorated.

buy another new 35 on top of your freebie and use the one good 35 that isnt punctured as a full size spare.
:dunno:

I like this idea the best so far. That he only beef I have is that I was going to switch to a different tire model after these ones wore out. Ideally I would like to just replace one tire, then when the other three wear out, I can use the newest tire as a full time spare. But this brings me right back to where I am now, not really knowing where to run the newest tire with minimal effect on the front and rear lockers. Any input is appreciated.

I vote that you swap in a D35 and put the one new tire on it along with the one old. Then brake torque it until the new tire is wore down some or the 35 grenades on you.

I would run the matching pair on the back since its locked all the time essentially, thats what I do, because this sport isn't so tire friendly.

Find a friend with a open rear axle install large tire on drive wheel burn tire till theres less tread... Problem solved!

Find a friend with a open rear axle install large tire on drive wheel burn tire till theres less tread... Problem solved!

hah just about as convenient as just putting the tire on a balancer and belt sanding the tread down till its a exact match

I love some of these answers :) So run the new tire on the front, two older/matching tires on the rear... that's the vibe I'm getting from this...

hah just about as convenient as just putting the tire on a balancer and belt sanding the tread down till its a exact match
Hmm that's a great idea. Didn't think about that. What about trying to find a friend who has a lathe and having it turned down? Sounds like another option.

Back