• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Busted fuel line fitting...and a sweet fix

DieselSJ

NAXJA Forum User
So Thursday during some basic maintenance I found the source of a small fuel leak. I thought I needed the o-rings for the fitting, but it turns out the fitting was cracked. A little pressure while I was checking it and it broke. I guess better in the garage than on the highway.

DSCN0209Medium.jpg

Dealer wanted $65 for the new line and couldn't get one until next week. I needed a faster solution so I called Summit and ordered up some fittings which arrived Friday morning.

DSCN0214Medium.jpg

Some AN to snap-lock adapters - 3/8 for the feed and 5/16 for the return...

DSCN0215Medium.jpg

Some hard-line to AN adapters...

DSCN0216Medium.jpg

I used push-lock line and fittings to make the lines. And I don't have to worry about the stock plastic fittings breaking any more. I used the standard blue/red fittings on the pressure side and black fittings on the return side.

DSCN0217Medium.jpg

Part numbers -

EAR-165056ERL tube adapters (2)
RUS-640850 Fuel rail fitting 5/16" black
RUS-640863 Fuel rail fitting 3/8" blue
SUM-220701 Twist-tite -6 straight fitting (2)
SUM-220701 Twist-tite -6 straight fitting black (2)
SUM-220783 -6 Twist-tite hose

Total cost of the parts was about $95, which was cheaper than replacing both of the lines.

Nice, I need to replace my lines but i don't think those fittings will work on a 1988 XJ.

Nice, I need to replace my lines but i don't think those fittings will work on a 1988 XJ.

You could convert to the later 95 fuel rail and change pressure regulators, Renix fuel rails are getting hard to find.

I replaced the stock injectors several years ago when I discovered they were leaking. The replacements were standard replacements from an autoparts store. No problems since. I don't remember what brand they are.

Well, they help the Ford 19 lb injectors work better due to their CCs being slightly less than OEM, you don't want the duty cycle of the injectors to get too high or they go static--constantly open. Myself and a lot of others haven't done this conversion--yet. It is on my "Jeep-Do" list for another time.

Looks like you also have thread on type steel lines from the fuel tank, mine are pressed onto the rubber hose which goes to a quick connect metal fitting to the fuel rail.. I would have to run new lines from the tank?? Or can I cut the steel line and put on a screw type fitting (AN?) Nothing is standard on the 88xj fuel lines.

Nice fix and great idea! Thanks for sharing this and giving us all a better fix than the asshats and the stealership will gouge ya for :cheers:

Looks like you also have thread on type steel lines from the fuel tank, mine are pressed onto the rubber hose which goes to a quick connect metal fitting to the fuel rail.. I would have to run new lines from the tank?? Or can I cut the steel line and put on a screw type fitting (AN?) Nothing is standard on the 88xj fuel lines.

Look at the 4th picture. Those are fittings that convert hard line to AN. They use a compression fitting on the hard line. I also used those on another vehicle when I installed a trans cooler. They can be installed on any straight section of steel or aluminum tube.

Oh I see, those are the EAR-165056ERL tube adapters. Awesome, now I just need to upgrade my fuel rail from the Renix so the quick connect will work.

The Renix has a slightly different quick connect. I tried to swap in a newer quick connect and it didn't seal correctly and leaked a whole lot. They don't make the older style, or at least I could't find one available anywhere except to go to junkyard and cut one off.

Thanks everyone for your help, I didn't know jack about fuel lines. Now I have several ideas.

Back