• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97-up glove box light question

casm

NAXJA Forum User
This is a dumb little thing that has always bothered me, and I'm wondering if anyone else may be able to provide an answer:

Did 2000 & '01 XJs come with glove box lights? And, if so, where are they located?

I've got a 2000 Limited with damn near every option offered, and it doesn't have a glove box light. My last XJ (2001 Sport with the 60th Anniversary package) had most power options, but no glove box light. Yet friends of mine with Renix- and H.O.-era XJs of varying trim levels have them. So... What happened to them on '97-up models?

It's not quite at the point where it's driving me mad yet, but it seems odd that the runout models apparently didn't come with them in my experience.

The glove box lights were not eliminated... although they may be incorporated into the lighting package which came with the lighted windshield visors...
Purchased my '98 new in '97; it's only a Sport and it has a glove compartment light.

For what it's worth, I have a 98 Sport and it has the glove box light what also has illuminated mirrors in the visors.

Holy Crap, I must be even more bored than you are. :looser: .

I actually went out into the garage to look in the glove box for a light. Nothing but an old map of Nebraska and some McDonald's napkins, no light in my 2000. Seriously, the glovebox is like 4" deep, why does it even need a light ?

Holy Crap, I must be even more bored than you are. :looser: .

:illegalflipoffsmiley: :D

I actually went out into the garage to look in the glove box for a light. Nothing but an old map of Nebraska and some McDonald's napkins, no light in my 2000. Seriously, the glovebox is like 4" deep, why does it even need a light ?

No idea why it would actually *need* one, but it just struck me as odd that it wasn't there (and I have the lighted visor mirrors as well).

The only thing I can figure is that there was some sort of redesign that eliminated it, but of what is the question; the airbags, maybe. Can someone who has one please give a clue as to its general location?

My 98 SE had very few options (no power windows, no lighted vanity mirrors, etc.) But, it has a stock glovebox light. I was in a 98 at the JY that had most options, but no glovebox light. Go figure.

I was also wondering if my 2000 had one at some point, since theres no bulb anywhere. Guess they came without them. Those of you that have them where is the socket located?

I find it really hard to believe that my 88 has one and the 98 doesn't. However the only thing it's really been good for is draining my battery when it gets left open or ajar. My latch broke and I could never close the glove box with out the light being on, so I pulled the bulb.

The bulb socket is right BEHIND the latch, up top.

On my 98 the light assembly is mounted behind the latch bar and slightly to the left.

The bulb socket is right BEHIND the latch, up top.

Good to know that I've at least been looking in the area where I thought it would be.

When the weather gets a little better, I'll do some comparison shopping at the junkyard - there are a few '97-'99 models in there, and some of them may have the light. Who knows, it may even be something that's plug & play to fit, but I doubt it - and if it isn't, I doubt I'll bother with cutting & splicing the wiring to remove and install the light.

BTW: LED lights are really good for not having the battery completely drain overnight when the switch fails ;)

Back