• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me decide on my control arms

keith_b00ne

NAXJA Forum User
Let me start with that I have an 87 XJ 4.0 4x4 with 33" tires and trimmed fenders. I drive my Jeep daily, but also known not to go easy on it off road as well.

I was considering the RC long arm kit, but don't like the hangers so low and prefer the TNT design. I haven't seen anything used and would rather not pay 800 bucks for a kit.

So here is what I am thinking. I have to do something immediately. My control arms are trash and I can't really drive it much till fixed.

1. Go with the RC lift.
2. Go with stock length arms and a drop kit. (Is the clearance any better?)
3. Go with the stock length arms and suck it up in the future and spend the money.

Thoughts?

How much lift do you have or are you planning to install ?

Look at ironman 4x4 fab.
http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/XJ_Inventory.html
I used his lower adj control arms because I bent mine. They are great and work well on 4 inches of lift. Next i am going to order his adj uppers. his stuff is top notch, the articulation is amazing, i did not get the johnny joints as after talking to him it would not be advantageous for me, and I do alot of wheeling, give him a call great guy. Very strong stuff

x2 on IronMan. I have his adjustable uppers and lowers and love them dearly... And, as said before, Andy is a great guy. A pleasure to do business with.

Depending on what exactly what you do off-road may help determine what you NEED. Drop brackets are a cheaper/bolt in way.
If I go above 3" I will run at least a 3-link long arm setup.

X3 on the Ironman 4x4 arms. I have the adj. uppers and lowers and couldn't be happier. Very beefy and as said before Andy is great with the customer service. Emailed him on a Friday evening around 9 oclock asking about the status of my order figuring I'd get a response on Monday. Less than an hour later I had a reply email. Your not gonna get that from most of the bigger companies.

I didn't put the springs on it, but I believe they are the 4.5" Rusty kit. Offroad I do a lot of hill climbing and off camber stuff. There isn't much rock crawling in Southern Indiana, but occasionally you get some.

I appreciate all the feedback..... Keep it coming.

With the drop brackets being closer to the wheels versus being in the center of the vehicle they seem to be a better solution if you can't get a high quality kit. Is my logic correct?

With the drop brackets being closer to the wheels versus being in the center of the vehicle they seem to be a better solution if you can't get a high quality kit. Is my logic correct?
exactly:wierd:
DSC_0627_1.jpg

DSC_0630_1.jpg

that picture looks like crappy driving to me. but the OP said he rarely does rock crawling anyway. so i say go with the cheaper, and effective drop brackets and good quality arms.

Naw, I wouldn't necessarily call my driving right there crappy (those are pics of my Jeep Rob posted), I would call it more of "my drop bracket caught the edge of a rock and the rock lifted the whole side of the Jeep up while it pivoted and rolled over." You can see the line on it where it had been sitting in the ground, and all the marks from the other rocks while it was rolling under the Jeep.

That trip the DB's brought the suck, but in previous, less hardcore times they've usually been good.

get the RC longarm, I have it on mine and it rides great, good price, it hangs a little low but hasn't been an issue for me but my jeep is currently my dd and sees 75% on road and 25% offroad.

I've got the RC drop brackets with RE LCA and RC Uppers. I'm at 4.5" lift and I have to say the ride is pretty darn good with the DB's. Only thing I would change is the RC adj. uppers. Whatever joints they use on those things are loud as heck. After 2yrs and multiple wheeling trips and constant greasing, they still make alot of squeaks. Must be the poly in the joint.

But I have NO issues with clearance. They have been great! If I am to ever go with some Long Arms, I would probably go with the TNT arms/belly pan. Arms are tucked up nicely along the frame and angle down to the axle very close to the OLD CA mounting location.

Last edited:
Or you could get the IRO long arm kit. i have one and highly recommend it. Its cheaper than all the others, but the main downfall is that there is no t-case skid belly pan included like that of the TNT kit.
FWIW, any of the long arm kits would work better than short arms, even with drop brackets.

The drop brackets will catch a rock from time to time. Any of the longarm kits that hang below the frame rails are going to do the same, depends on the obstacle.
As you noted about their position to the wheel, bigger tires help 'hide' the db's, and you can grind or cut the back of them for more clearance too.
There's nothing low quality about the RE db's, they're beefy and proven. They've been around a loooong time, without any real changes.

Made my purchase. I went on and got the IronMan4x4 upper and lowers. They appear to be the best value for what I am looking for. I will post more when they are installed.

Probably has to do with shipping, and trucks or planes they are shipped on. A week isnt bad.

Back