• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Change From HELL

DrShaggford

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought another XJ not too long ago and decided to change the oil to Rotella today. Got my oil pan placed and my ratchet in hand and wouldn't you know it, I couldn't get the drain plug broken loose. Grabbed my 2.5' 1/2 drive breaker bar and still couldn't break it loose. Finally took a 2lb BFH and smacked the breaker bar a few time and finally got it loosened (PO must have used an impact wrench to put that on there). Almost an hour later I go to take the Filter off and of coarse it won't budge. I tried 2 strap wrenches with no luck, so I pulled out the big boy( looks like a hook and the handle swivels and is serrated) and it still wouldn't budge. Popped a hole in the filter with the wrench so I moved it closer the the threads. I then proceeded to throw a cheater bar on the end of the wrench and snapped the wrench clear in half. At this point I have no choice but to pound a screw driver through the filter. That thing was on there so tight I ripped the filter in half and snapped the oil presser sensor clean off. I somehow managed to remove the filter with a pair of channel locks and vice grips. Replaced the oil pressure sensor and started her up and she sounded happier than ever(got rid of the tick from using inferior oil). Let this little story be a lesson to all.....DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN YOUR OIL FILTER OR DRAIN PLUG!!!!!! Also Rotella freakin rocks!

I haven't messed around with it too much yet but everything else seemed ok except the sticker on the radiator bracket from Jiffy Lube. I like to think that if you can't work on your own car you shouldn't own a car at all. Believe it or not one of my old friends didn't know where to put the gas in.

Also a good idea to be sure and put a film of oil on the new filter seal before installation. Not doing that can create the problem you had. Combine that with somesnot-nosed teenaged grease monkey and there's a recipe for disaster.

Funny that it came from Jiffy Lube. The ONLY time I ever brought my XJ to a Jiffy Lube was when it was a baby. In one fell swoop the kid stripped the oil pan bolt which is in alignment with your story. Never again.

light coat of oil on the rubber ring and just hand tight is all it needs.
They probably used a filter wrench to tighten it.

Right now I'm using 10w 30 but come summer I will probably switch to 15w 30. I like it because it keeps the engine nice and clean and over time will remove engine sludge if you have any. And the Jeeps just seem to love it. I noticed an immediate difference in both my XJs after switching. Also if you forget to change the oil on time it won't hurt your motor....Rotella doesn't break down and lose its viscosity like normal oils do, keep in mind however it is still carrying all that dirt so don't go too long.

Also a good idea to be sure and put a film of oil on the new filter seal before installation.
I always do this. For some reason I like to mate the new filter with the old filter and give it a spin. Just out of curiosity does it matter if you use new oil or used oil for this part? I am partial to using old oil but there is no reason for it.

I always do this. For some reason I like to mate the new filter with the old filter and give it a spin. Just out of curiosity does it matter if you use new oil or used oil for this part? I am partial to using old oil but there is no reason for it.

I do this also. I use old oil. I take the new filter, "kiss" it to the old filter to get some oil off the old gasket and it works fine. I see no need to use new versus old...as all you are doing is creating a seal.

I had the same thing happen. Not with the drain plug, but the filter. Wouldn't budge by hand. Tried filter pliers, no dice. Tried one of these
g2198_300px.jpg

Still wouldn't budge. Then I tried the screwdriver/punch method. All that did was mangle the filter and rip it to shreds.

I ended up using a pair of filter pliers, with two 2' pipes stuck over each handle. This allowed me to squeeze MUCH harder and finally get it to spin.

I've had success removing overtightened filters by using a big screwdriver with a hammer to apply rotational force to the oil filter flange.

Only NEW oil to the filter gasket though. Why would you want extra grit between the gasket and the filter mounting surface? Just open the new oil and dip your finger into the bottle for a swipe of fresh oil. I always wipe the filter mounting surface with my clean finger to make sure nothing abrasive remains there.

I do this also. I use old oil. I take the new filter, "kiss" it to the old filter to get some oil off the old gasket and it works fine. I see no need to use new versus old...as all you are doing is creating a seal.

this is best - i also use old filter and drip oil around new O ring to "prime" the new rubber then rub it in with my finger... this keeps the O ring from becoming brittle and seals much better against the filter mount... also makes removal after heat from engine/ pressure much easier

'Had a similar problem with a friend's Accord. We ended up having to remove an exhaust manifold, then tear the filter off piece by piece. Finally got down to the base plate and torqued it off with a variety of improvised tools. Four-hour oil changes. Man those sucks.

Never had problems like that but once forgot to put the pressure sensor back before starting her up. Dang that will mess up your driveway in a hurry! Not to mention wasting a couple quarts of Mobile1 synthetic. DOH!

If you ever had the "pleasure" of changing the oil filter on a Renault R5 the only practical method is to take a 3' screwdriver--your choice flat or Phillips--and hammer it through the filter, break the filter loose, then use your hand the rest of the way.

When you remove the old filter from it's mounting there is residue oil on the seal surface that is enough to lubricate the new seal unless you have wiped the seal mount then a smear of any lube works
Andy

Once bought a 61 chevy PU. Fram filter had been on so long it wasn't even orange anymore. busted the whole body of the filter off the face. Had to use a drift and hammer to get filter face off the block. Bet they never changed the oil, just added new as the old leaked out.

I had a similar experience with the first oil change on my Jeep. My successful method for removal?

I had a 4" hose clamp laying around (steal one from your dryer for a few minutes). Tighten that around the body of the oil filter. Use vice grips or channel locks on hose clamp and it acts like an oil filter wrench. You can tighten the hose clamp enough it actually begins "crushing" in the outer body of the oil filter which makes it easier to turn without slipping

That experience was also almost a 3 hour oil change so I feel everyone's pain.

Back