• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About to bite the bullet!

biggin69

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post on this wonderfull forum. I have been lurking for awhile. I a have been looking for an XJ for my DD and trail basher.
I am about to buy an XJ and was wanting to know you all think before I pull the trigger.

It is a 1999 XJ with 160K. Black, 4 door, 4x4, some rust un the bottom side of the floorboards, overall pretty good condition. The issue is it needs a head gasket.

I am mechanically inclined and am not concerned about doing the job myself. I just am curious what the members of this wonderful forum think before I spend the change. It can be bought for $1000.

What do you all think? Thanks!

Last edited:
Make sure it is in fact the head gasket and not a cracked block. If it is a gasket I would jump all over that....if it is a cracked block it is still a great deal if that is all that is wrong and you are willing to do an engine swap. You can find a motor under 200k for about $200. Last motor my friend bought was $200 and even came with ALL the accessories except the AC. It would have been plug in play if we weren't going from an 89 Renix to a 96 HO.

Well I pulled the oil cap off and it had the tell tell sign of a bad head gasket (Milky Oil) and the coolant overflow had oily antifreeze in it so I am pretty sire that is what it is.. Thanks for the reply!

If it was a late production 99 it could have the 0331 head casting--let me rephrase that--it could have the HORRIBLE 0331 head casting that likes to break between cylinders 3 and 4.

I would be more concerned about the rust,everything else would be an easy fix!

You won't really know if it's just the head gasket until you have it apart. Then you need to at least check the head for flatness before throwing a new gasket on. With 160K, you may as well do a valve job too. X2 on the 0331 head. I would never reuse one of those. Often you can see the crack if you pull the valve cover.

I agree with the rust comment too. Mechanicals are easier to fix correctly than unibody issues.

Thanks Guys!

Well I went and looked it over a little better this evening and here is what I found.....

Head = 0630 Good Head?
Overall the thing is in pretty good shape. It has 177K, not 160K like she said.....

The rust is all of the way through on the passenger side floor pan, probably about a 8 x 12 hole. Do they have patch panels for this? The drivers side is fine. Should I be worriued about thius?

As far as hearing it run, She thought the battery was dead but it was showing 14 volts. The starter clicks when yoi hit the key so I am assuming the brushes are stuck or it is bad. I did not have a hammer or anything to tap on it with.

She said she would give me till Monday to let her know.

Any more input?

0630 head is good. '99 is good as it should still be the high pinion front end.

But if you can't hear it run, and at least drive it around the block, how do you know that the transmission, transfer case, or brakes work?

The big hole in the floor pan is not a huge problem in itself, but it is hard to believe that the rest of it (where it really matters) is still good. What about the reinforced areas that resemble the frame and the rocker panels.

And you want to make it into your DD? FWIW, it sounds like a long term project to me.

Likely dirty cable connections or bad main cables--will show voltage but can't carry amps.

Could be a battery issue also.

If you are still interested go clean the battery/cable connections and try it again.

Take a hammer with you.

I'm with winterbeater--if you can't hear it run and at least move it around there could be any number of additional problems that would take a "good find" to a "money pit from hell" in the blink of an eye.

I will definatly hear it run and roll it around the block before I buy it. I offered her $800 and she said nope...$1000 is as low as she would go.

The way I see it, if she hasn't bothered to fix it because it won't start, she may have been given a quote for its repair and its not worth it to have it fixed. If you buy this vehicle without it running you are buying it with your eyes totally closed. Don't be "A fool and his money are soon departed." If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, its probably a duck. This woman obviously has no generous will in her and is not going to give you any gift,... not even for the favor of hauling this wreck off of her property. Sorry to be harsh but this sounds like a deal you should walk away from.

The way I see it, if she hasn't bothered to fix it because it won't start, she may have been given a quote for its repair and its not worth it to have it fixed. If you buy this vehicle without it running you are buying it with your eyes totally closed. Don't be "A fool and his money are soon departed." If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, its probably a duck. This woman obviously has no generous will in her and is not going to give you any gift,... not even for the favor of hauling this wreck off of her property. Sorry to be harsh but this sounds like a deal you should walk away from.
X2^^ at that price, I would expect to see a running and mechanically sound vehicle if it's got holes 12" long in the floor. Find a better vehicle and stop by her house to offer her $300.00 in your new find.

Even if you pay her a few hundred dollars for it which still may be more than it's worth, do you really want a vehicle that is going to take up all of your time and money getting it road-ready? Seems to me if you can't even drive it to the store to get parts, it's just not worth the trouble. You could end up spending far more on it than what you saved during the purchase. Sorry for ranting but nothing irks me more than someone who will try to take advantage of another persons' good will.

Back