• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Assembly swap? Looking for insight/advice.

box_goblin

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for insight/advice on a project I’m about to start.

1990 Sport - 4.0L – 5Spd AX15 – NP231
Rear axle was the standard D35 – when changing the seal on the rear left wheel, I found that the pinion was close to destroyed. I know that replacing R&P is a pretty precision operation, so not something I was going to do myself. I was able to locate a rear Dana 44 and purchased it. Needed new drums and brakes – which was a fun project and has been completed. However, the gear ratio is 3.73 – far cry from the 3.07 currently on the vehicle. I got that installed and working fine; no 4WD currently as the ratios being different would just bind up the axles or tear apart the TC, or I don’t want to imagine what would happen, really.

The two options I can think of having would be to have the gears replaced in the front – or replacing the entire front axle assembly with one that has a matching 3.73 gear ratio. I’m not up to doing gear changes myself (unless this is actually not as hard as I think – if not, let me know and I’d reconsider it) so I was looking at finding a replacement axle assembly.

I’ve located one that appears to be the proper replacement – but does not have the vacuum disconnects. What I’m wanting to know is if I try to swap in this assembly, is that going to prevent 4WD from working, or would there be anything I’d need to do additionally to get it working?

Thanks in advance for any answers to that – as well as any other opinions and insight that you all have to lend.

Go for it, replacing the D30 CAD axle with a standard D30 is quite popular, and Chryco eliminated the D30 CAD 92+.

It will have NO EFFECT on 4x4, other than making it more RELIABLE without the whole vacuum thing.

You will have to hook the "engage" vacuum line from the vacuum motor to the "part-time light" vacuum line that runs up the firewall to the vacuum-to-electric switch to keep the light in the IP.

Go for it, replacing the D30 CAD axle with a standard D30 is quite popular, and Chryco eliminated the D30 CAD 92+.

It will have NO EFFECT on 4x4, other than making it more RELIABLE without the whole vacuum thing.

You will have to hook the "engage" vacuum line from the vacuum motor to the "part-time light" vacuum line that runs up the firewall to the vacuum-to-electric switch to keep the light in the IP.

Good to know that it's pretty standard it'll be nice to return the XJ to 4WD - thanks!

Back