• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella headlight housings and DDMtuning HID kit questions

rmonte4812

NAXJA Forum User
As anyone tried this set up? i've had my hella housings for a while and decided to try DDM's H4 hi/low hid kit, 35w 5000k. Got them installed and the pattern is terrible. I noticed the new hid bulbs have a shield on them held on with two tiny screws and was wondering if they could be removed since the hella housings have a internal shield already. Any thoughs if this would help?

I'm running a very similiar setup. Got the Hella headlights and DDM 35w 4500k bulbs. Leave the shield on the buld itself. I keeps the pattern cutoff a bit sharper. I went a different method to keep the light cutoff nice and flat. But with it being night time right now I can't take pictures. I just put tape on the headlight. I covered up about 40-45% of my lower headlights to keep light from blinding opposing traffic. Sounds stupid and crazy but when I get pictures you'd be surprised how well it works.

I have the ddmtuning kit in my autopals. Its bright but its not the best beam pattern. Still blows halogen out of the water....yeah I said it! Good call on the 35w kit, I got the 55w kit with 5000k bulbs and it may be a little too much so im gonna go with 4500k bulbs. I would also get a hd headlight harness for it. And if yours is a 97+ you will have to remove fuses 3and4 under the dash to get the hi/lo kit to switch correctly.

Fastdemise, I am interested in your little experiment. You should get us pics of that!

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on the hi/low function. Ya mine is a 98 and I've been trying to figure out why when I flip them to high they won't go back to low unless I turn them off. I try the fuse trick today.

I have that same setup with the 55 watt 4500's and love the pattern. I have DDM 35watt H1's in my golf with aftermarket euro headlights and the pattern SUCKS!!!!.

FYI I hope you live close to DDM. they are about 15 minutes from me. I have 3 of their kits (2 in the jeep and 1 in my VW) and I have had to warranty something from all of my kits and I have had them for about 6 months. I would say they are so cheap you probably want to get an extra set for spares. I now have a spare 55 watt balast as I have 4 of them in the jeep and thats what goes out the most.

I have that same setup with the 55 watt 4500's and love the pattern. I have DDM 35watt H1's in my golf with aftermarket euro headlights and the pattern SUCKS!!!!.

FYI I hope you live close to DDM. they are about 15 minutes from me. I have 3 of their kits (2 in the jeep and 1 in my VW) and I have had to warranty something from all of my kits and I have had them for about 6 months. I would say they are so cheap you probably want to get an extra set for spares. I now have a spare 55 watt balast as I have 4 of them in the jeep and thats what goes out the most.

Thankfully, I haven't had a problem with my kit so far.

Back