• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converted exterior lights to LEDs...

casm

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ, 4.0, AW4, NP242, etc.

Got around this morning to installing one of my Christmas presents: LED replacements for the Jeep's exterior lights. Would've had them in sooner, but was held up waiting for the replacement flasher relay (Trico EP27) to arrive.

Anyway, everything went fine except that I noticed one odd behaviour after the swap: if I turn on the hazard lights, the brake lights (all three of them) also flash in time with the indicators. Brake, indicator, and marker lights work fine in normal usage; this only happens if the hazards are turned on. FWIW, with the new relay in place, the indicators flash at the correct rate, and the only remaining incandescent exterior bulbs are the headlamps.

There are no apparent wiring faults at the bulbs, and this wasn't happening before the LED bulbs went in. All I can figure is that I may have got a duff relay, but wanted to make sure that this isn't a known issue - other than, say, a bad ground, I can't see where the flashers would be feeding back into the brake lights, but it may be worth mentioning that I do have the tow package.

LEDs will feed back into one another, usually needing a resistor installed between them, you're not going to hurt anything the way it is though. If you hit your brakes does it stop flashing? If so that's working correctly

LEDs will feed back into one another, usually needing a resistor installed between them, you're not going to hurt anything the way it is though.

Hm, OK. Never had to do that on any of the other cars I've converted to LEDs, but it's not like XJs don't have their own way of doing things ;) Probably just got lucky on the others.

If you hit your brakes does it stop flashing? If so that's working correctly

Good question; I didn't think to try that. I'll give it a shot later when I can get back out to it and see what happens. FWIW, working the turn indicator stalk while the hazards were on didn't make any difference (not that I expected it to, but just mentioning it).

Back