• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Only getting 8vdc to power seat leads?

Illeagle

NAXJA Forum User
I am not sure exactly which way to go with this. I have an 89 xj with factory power seats and if I hook up 12vdc to the seat itself all the motors work. So i test the leads coming into the seat and I am only getting 8.9vdc. I took the bottom circuit breaker out of the fuse panel and test and get 11.9vdc there. The circuit breaker itself shows continuity so I am not really sure which way to go with this. I have searched on here for any answers and consulted my chiltons but feel im at a dead end. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Try replacing the circuit breaker after flushing out it's socket in the fuse box with a good electrical contact cleaner. Any plugs along the way between the breaker and the seat, unplug and spray out both halves.

I will definitely try that. Unfortunately my manual does NOT show any wiring for the power seats. If anyone has a schematic that could assist me in the troubleshooting of this that would be great.

It can't be far from the fuseblock to the driver seat. Start at the driver seat and work back. It could be worthwhile removing the switches and connectors and spraying them out with contact cleaner, too.

It's gonna be a process of elimination. You need to know what it isn't before you'll find out what it was.

Well I went and bought a new 30amp circuit breaker and installed it and WALAAA the 12volts is present at the seats and my power door locks now. Thanks cruiser54 for your help. Still not exactly sure HOW this happened because the circuit breaker ALWAYS did show continuity. Oh well hope someone else can benefit from my stupidity.

Back