• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Chain Life

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
Assuming regular fluid changes, how long should one expect the 242's chain to last before it would need replaced? Is it's life dependent on how much it was used in full time full?

Last edited:
Inspect the chain and gears for abnormal wear. Other than that I have never heard of a timing chain failure on a 4.0. I have heard of oil pumps failing before timing chains. I have 201k on my 93 and it has not had a timing chain yet.

Rule of thumb...if your worried about it replace it. Otherwise wait till you do a rebuild, oil pump, cam other significant upgrade/repair.

I simply don't worry about the chain failing.

Not the timing chain in the 4.0L, the chain in the 242 transfer case.

Doh! 4.0 are 242 cubic inch motors arent they.....any way total brain fart. ATF fluid is cheap enough. I change mine out at least once a year or every 20,000 miles. I only use np231 cases. But again I have never heard of a 242 failing if it was maintained.

wheel it hard and drive it everyday, wont go more than 200k. mine was ready to go in my 93 when the jeep went back to the great junkyard in the sky at 190k. the chains are longer than the 231s by a bit.

Back