• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking from rear end.

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
I just started to get a clunking sound from the rear of the Jeep on the passenger side. It does this when I turn to the left or go over bumps do you guys have any ideas?
thanks in advance

1999, 4" lift, 31" tires, SYE

Broken shock mount maybe.

Could be a broken shock mount like Joe said. It could also be a worn shock or bad sway bar bushings (either at the uni body or at the spring perch). It might even be a work/broken leaf spring bushing or shackle bushing.

I don't think its the shocks because they are only a little over a year old. The bushings have been squeaking really badly, and the main ones are cracked so that could be it. I wish I could get under it and give it a good look, but we still have a butt load of snow on the ground here in Brooklyn.

Could be anything. Check all mounting points / bolts in the area. Jack it up, inspect, spin wheel, etc. It could be something simple.

Example: I had a clunk once after hitting a pot hole and come to find out my shoes in the drum broke loose and were flopping around in there. I have heard people complain of clunks and the spare tire was loose.

What have you ruled out?

Could be anything. Check all mounting points / bolts in the area. Jack it up, inspect, spin wheel, etc. It could be something simple.

Example: I had a clunk once after hitting a pot hole and come to find out my shoes in the drum broke loose and were flopping around in there. I have heard people complain of clunks and the spare tire was loose.

What have you ruled out?

Way too much snow and ice on the ground to jack it up right now I'm hoping the rain we are supposed to get Saturday will wash it away.

C-clip axles sometimes cluck from excessive end-play,my Dakota 8.25" did it from day one,its not an issue!

Back