• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which lift?

rwaugh

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to do a lift. Needs to be safe for the wife and kids. Thinking RC 3" or RE 3.5" please give me your input. I don't want to do an SYE or anything. Thanks.

get the re 3.5 kit, and get over the whole 'not wanting to do a sye' thing.

x2 on the RE 3.5 ...If you have a 97+ your going to need the SYE. Don't sweat it the one RE sells is easy to install and works very well.

I suggest the RE 6030 3.5" Super Flex with the full leafs and sway bar discos. You should also get the RE 1600 track bar for improved axle articulation and strength.

Old Man Emu all the way. Its all I will run. I have it on both my 97TJ and my 00XJ. If your going to have your wife driving this regularly spend the money to get one. It rides great and flexes just fine.

I do get a tiny vibe from the rear in the XJ. I haven't taken the time to check the rear pinion angles yet but I'm thinking a set of small shims will be all thats needed.

Try DPG Offroad. They were or still may be a vendor here. They were very helpful and offer a more complete kit.

I say the RC 3 inch lift. I got it and love it. No SYE and it rides great. Although I'm planing on bigger and am going to need to do an SYE anyway so do one now unless you are really opposed to it.

Its a 2000. I just don't want to dump to much money into it. That's why I don't want to do the sye. I would be happy with 31" tires. As far as off road probably once every couple of months.

Its a 2000. I just don't want to dump to much money into it. That's why I don't want to do the sye. I would be happy with 31" tires. As far as off road probably once every couple of months.

RE 3.5" kit and 31"s you can probably get away without doing a SYE. Not sure what's up with the "late model" business these guys are talking about when it comes to having to get a SYE or not. Needing a SYE is determined by how much you lift it. I just put on a 3.5" RE superflex and I get vibes from about 25-30mph and that's it and they aren't too bad so I'll just live with the vibes for now. The longer you have the kit the vibes will diminish as the leaf springs break in and sag a bit, they may or may not completely go away. I'm on 33" KM2s and RE 3.5" and I love it! RE makes some very quality parts. Just a word of warning you are probably going to need a new track bar when you lift it this tall. Track bars run anywhere from $100-200.

RE 3.5" kit and 31"s you can probably get away without doing a SYE. Not sure what's up with the "late model" business these guys are talking about when it comes to having to get a SYE or not. Needing a SYE is determined by how much you lift it. I just put on a 3.5" RE superflex and I get vibes from about 25-30mph and that's it and they aren't too bad so I'll just live with the vibes for now. The longer you have the kit the vibes will diminish as the leaf springs break in and sag a bit, they may or may not completely go away. I'm on 33" KM2s and RE 3.5" and I love it! RE makes some very quality parts. Just a word of warning you are probably going to need a new track bar when you lift it this tall. Track bars run anywhere from $100-200.
Late models are more prone to have vibes. I'm sure you'll learn that as you widen your xj knowledge.

Late models are more prone to have vibes. I'm sure you'll learn that as you widen your xj knowledge.

3.5" superflex on 33"s with hardly any vibes. There is no definitive way to say you NEED a SYE unless you are going for crazy lift height.

Last edited:
My 98 needed a SYE with a 3.5 superride.

If you find that you have vibes and you value transfer case output shaft bearing, pinion bearing, and u-joint life; get a SYE or at least a transfer case drop kit. Vibes and bearings aren't good bedfellows.

-also-

If you're looking to run 31's. I would go with a 3-3.5" DPG hybrid kit (2-2.5" kit would be okay, but with some fender trimming). Toss in some aftermarket control arms and a SYE and you have a very good, very on and off road friendly setup.

This is what I would be running had I stayed in the 31-32 in. tire range.

Just my $0.02

http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/OMEXJkits.htm

Last edited:
Old Man Emu all the way. Its all I will run. I have it on both my 97TJ and my 00XJ. If your going to have your wife driving this regularly spend the money to get one. It rides great and flexes just fine.

I do get a tiny vibe from the rear in the XJ. I haven't taken the time to check the rear pinion angles yet but I'm thinking a set of small shims will be all thats needed.

Try DPG Offroad. They were or still may be a vendor here. They were very helpful and offer a more complete kit.

x2 FTW

3.5" superflex on 33"s with hardly any vibes. There is no definitive way to say you NEED a SYE unless you are going for crazy lift height.

My 96 had bad vibes with a 6" lift. It's generally accepted that the 96.5 and later XJs are much more susceptible to vibes than the 96 and down. The transfer case was changed and the new version is less forgiving of angularity.

honestly i dont understand why everyone says you need an sye i dont have an sye and i dont have any vibes or anything honestly its probably your pinions angles and worn out u joints cause im running 8 inches of lift without an sye for over 2 years now and nothing wrong at all

95 and down have a different tailshaft/come on the transfercase thats why the 96 and up are more prone to vibes, however there are cheaper ways to get around needing an SYE like Tcase drops ect. and shackles help the pinion angle a tad while adding lift.

honestly i dont understand why everyone says you need an sye i dont have an sye and i dont have any vibes or anything honestly its probably your pinions angles and worn out u joints cause im running 8 inches of lift without an sye for over 2 years now and nothing wrong at all
What year is yours? We say you need an SYE from experience because in most cases, you will need an SYE after a certain amount of lift. This amount varies depending on year.

Back