• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 question

Ryno_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 XJ and its got the np242 tcase. My buddy has one on his 95 and it seems the choices for 4x4 are different. His says full time, part time, neutral, and low (not sure about the order). Mine says (in order) 2wd, 4-loc, 4x4, neutral, and lo-loc. Is there a difference? I dont really know a lot about jeeps, but Im fairly familiar with a np231 and this is pretty much nothing like it. if someone can give me some insight as to what all the different settings are, it would be greatly appreciated!

they are the same transfer case.the 87 is AMC terminology. the 95 is Chrysler terminology.in 2wd the there is no power out from the transfer case to the front diff.. in 4x4 loc or part time there power driven from the transfer case to the front axle . in 4x4 full time there is power driven from the transfer case to the front axle but it may use a internal differential or viscous clutch this allows the the front and rear wheels to turn corners at different speeds(rpm) for smooth operation on the street. in 4x4 lock there is no speed change at the axles you will feel hoping in 4x4 loc going around corners.i hope what i wrote makes sense.

Back