• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Terra 2Lo Question...

Alex E

NAXJA Forum User
I've been thinking about getting the Terra 2Lo kit for my NP231 BUT on their web site it says for NP-231-J only...Whats the "J" indicate and does it really matter if its a "J" or something else? I don't see why it wont work on my 87 XJ, correct? Or maybe all Jeeps have the "J" if its equipped a 231? Does any one have any experience with this kit or have any opinions?

Thanks,
-Alex

J refers to the vehicle make. In this case Jeep. D would be for dodge etc.

For wheeling on slickrock, you will love it.

Yes, it will fit your '87 t-case, and it's a very good idea. I stretched a chain doing a lot of wheeling on rocks, then I put in a 2 low and never stretched a chain again. If you have selectable lockers it's not really needed, but I had Detroits front and rear and I loved the 2 low option.

I' don't recall what my 231 was out of, It was just stamped 231 amc. Tereflex couldn't even give me a straight answer. It worked just fine. It did fail within 10 miles of the install due to a bad weld on the mode selector :( , and I wasn't waiting for another one, so I just welded it.

That is about my favorite upgrade. You'll love it.

Thanks guys, I'm sold. I've got a Detroit in my rear 44 and I might do a Aussie lunch box locker in the front but since its not a selectable locker and it is my daily driver I kind of wanted a 2Lo option. Atleast when I go wheeling I don't have to always deal with the negative side effects of a locked front end. Goatman did you notice the front locker much in 2Hi or 2Lo?

Since I'm going to be purchasing the 2Lo kit and I'm going to have my 231 out I wanted to re seal everything. Does anyone know of a gasket kit or a rebuild kit? Whats involved with the install as far as parts? Anything else I should do while I have it on the bench?

If you don't have an SYE its a good time to install one, as well as a new chain. No gasket needed just silicone the two halves together.

I imagine you can do it in the jeep. To me its easier to work on the T-case in the jeep than it is to take the t-case out lol.

I used high temp RTV on mine when I put a new chain in. Also you might as well replace the shift fork pads while you are in there. It's a very simple case to work on, I'm sure you'll see that when you get it tore down.

I used high temp RTV on mine when I put a new chain in. Also you might as well replace the shift fork pads while you are in there. It's a very simple case to work on, I'm sure you'll see that when you get it tore down.

The 2Lo kit includes new shift fork pads.

Thanks for the info, I'll just pull the t-case and do it on the bench. Since now is a good time to do a SYE, any recommendations for a good kit? I want something proven and really reliable. A nice, good, comprehensive kit would be awesome. I enjoy to DD my Jeep and I drive it long distances for road trips, camping and to and from wheeling so I need a reliable SYE kit. It never ends...

Back