• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about my 242 t case. 4 FT feels just like 4 PT when driving on pavement?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ AW4 with the 242.

When driving on pavement in 4hi when making a turn you can feel it in the wheel sort of popping back and fourth.

When placed in 4 full time I have almost the same feeling when turning but not quite as bad. I am a delivery driver and do not have studded tires. I live in an area with lots of snow and ice so I have been using 4 FT a lot, probably 100 to 150 in town miles a day depending on how busy I am.

Is this normal? All of my u joints have been checked and are good....

It may be normal. Even without a locker in the front end if the u-joints on the axleshafts are 'out of phase' there will be some extra jerking/popping.

If your joints checked good I'd think it was fine...unless it gets noticeably worse.

Are you using 4 part-time on dry pavement?

One other possibility: the linkage is out of adjustment just enough that you're getting full engagement of 4PT but not 4FT. Mine needs to be fooled with about once a year or it won't quite unlock the centre diff occasionally. Running it in and out of 4FT and 2HI a couple of times when it's like this usually gets it to do what it's supposed to, though.

Back