• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Short intro and question

luciano136

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone!

I joined this site per someone else's suggestion on another car forum. I'm not a hardcore offroader like most people on this site but do some dirt roads and snow since I'm into mountaineering. We have a modest ML320 for that work.

Now, on to my question. About a week and a half ago, I went snow camping with a friend of mine. Snow levels were supposed to be around 8k with a few inches of snow but instead it dropped to 5k with about 3 feet of snow at 7k! Now, that is where we parked our car. Needless to say, the poor subie is stuck and since the road is not plowed in winter, it would probably be there till spring unless we find a solution to get it out. Now, it sounds like you guys deal with deep snow on a regular basis and may have some suggestions or can maybe offer help (I'm sure my friend would pay you for any help offered). This is what it looked like last Saturday but with some more snow in the forecast, this may only get worse.

What do you guys think/suggest? The subie is awd and has decent clearance (8.9 inches) but obviously can't deal with this much snow!

Thanks!!!!
IMGP0199.jpg

IMGP0201.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like it would be a fun snow run although Im not around for a while. Doesnt seem like it would be that bad. Yea you may need to get a few tugs here and there.

Yeah where about is this? Trailhead in the Sierras or somewhere in Big Bear?

Start digging, get as much snow cleared away from the vehicle as possible, you may be able to get it out under its own power if all that snow is just built up around it. if you can get it moving you may be able to use momentum to get it going.

You need to find some 4wds to break the trail and compact and form a two track for you. You MAY be able to drive out then.

Yeah where about is this? Trailhead in the Sierras or somewhere in Big Bear?

The Whitney Portal rd is out of Lone Pine. About a mile down the road, the snow is less deep and probably fine for a regular awd vehicle. It's just that one mile that is too deep to get out.

The Whitney Portal rd is out of Lone Pine. About a mile down the road, the snow is less deep and probably fine for a regular awd vehicle. It's just that one mile that is too deep to get out.

OK I was at Diaz Lake over Thanksgiving

I drive up to Whitney portal every year and am VERY familiar with that road. What were you thinking? That road is nasty this time of year. I'm really curious to know how you got off the mtn. For guys who don't know where this is located, this is on the Eastern side of the Sierras about 45 minutes south of Bishop. Getting any rig up to that vehicle is going to be really dangerous right now. That road is very steep with switchbacks and dropoffs all along and no guard rails. The snow plow usually doesn't come up there until April or May. I'm all about helping people get their vehicles out of the snow. I do it all winter long, but this is extremely dangerous. Even if a heavily built and lifted rig could get up there the snow is too deep for your car to roll. It will have to be drug through the snow which puts the person pulling it along in a very dangerous situation. Your best bet is to find someone in the Sierra chapter with a "Snow cat" style tredded vehicle OR just wait until Spring. Sorry about not being helpful or even optimistic but your situation sucks and it's only gonna get worse. Talk to the local rangers. They will probably have a treaded snow vehicle and might be willing to retrieve it for you. We have a few in our local mtn. range and they have pulled numeruos stranded people and cars out of bad situations.

I'd go (for gas money ;) ), but wouldn't be available until Sunday.

I drive up to Whitney portal every year and am VERY familiar with that road. What were you thinking? That road is nasty this time of year. I'm really curious to know how you got off the mtn. For guys who don't know where this is located, this is on the Eastern side of the Sierras about 45 minutes south of Bishop. Getting any rig up to that vehicle is going to be really dangerous right now. That road is very steep with switchbacks and dropoffs all along and no guard rails. The snow plow usually doesn't come up there until April or May. I'm all about helping people get their vehicles out of the snow. I do it all winter long, but this is extremely dangerous. Even if a heavily built and lifted rig could get up there the snow is too deep for your car to roll. It will have to be drug through the snow which puts the person pulling it along in a very dangerous situation. Your best bet is to find someone in the Sierra chapter with a "Snow cat" style tredded vehicle OR just wait until Spring. Sorry about not being helpful or even optimistic but your situation sucks and it's only gonna get worse. Talk to the local rangers. They will probably have a treaded snow vehicle and might be willing to retrieve it for you. We have a few in our local mtn. range and they have pulled numeruos stranded people and cars out of bad situations.

It isn't very far up the road. That bottom section actually melts out after a few warm days. It is before the first switchback less than a mile in.

It isn't very far up the road. That bottom section actually melts out after a few warm days. It is before the first switchback less than a mile in.

I didn't realize you were near the base of the mtn. The dramatically reduces the risk factor for the person pulling you out. You might have issues getting SoCal guys to pull you out but I'm sure you will find some help from the Sierra Chapter. I personally know that there is a handful of Lone Pine NAXJA guys in that area and 6 or 7 Bishop guys that would probably help out. Good Luck.

I didn't realize you were near the base of the mtn. The dramatically reduces the risk factor for the person pulling you out. You might have issues getting SoCal guys to pull you out but I'm sure you will find some help from the Sierra Chapter. I personally know that there is a handful of Lone Pine NAXJA guys in that area and 6 or 7 Bishop guys that would probably help out. Good Luck.

Yeah, we're only near the 7000 foot level. The end of the road is about 8400 feet. The bottom of the road is roughly 6.5k I believe. We've been up that road many times as well and purposely didn't park very high. The forecast just was WAY off even though noaa is usually pretty spot on.

I would do it anytime but can't afford the gas right now. We are headed up north Friday to Oregon so If you still need help then I am sure we can detour that way.

Thanks!! I'll see if there is someone closer first but I do really appreciate your offer and everyone's help on here. Seems like a great forum.

Back