• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slipping Lock right locker

teamwestoutdoors

NAXJA Forum User
My lock right Locker in my Dana 30 isn't catching on my driver's side axle. it just skips around grabbing every now and again then slips some more. I assume my springs are weak so I want to replace them. I have been told that it's a " pain in the a$$" to do so. Anyone have any experiences in this that can give me some pointers?
I know I should upgrade to an ARB or a Detroit, and some day I will, but at this time unless anyone has a free one they are willing to part with I need to just fix my junk for as little as I can and get back on the trail.

No diss on skills, but have you made sure your tires aren't mismatched in diameters and that the inflation is correct?

If so, then contact their tech support and get their input. It could be that when yours was set up it was on the outer edge of specs and has simply worn enough to need another setup.

As far as the replacing springs part its really not that bad. I'm pretty sure its almost the same setup as an Aussie I just replaced the springs in mine. Wasn't very hard at all.

but one suggestion, when you remove the roll pin to take the cross shaft/locker out, DO NOT RE-USE THE ROLL PIN, I have two sets of destroyed gears that can tell you why you shouldn't do that.

If it is slipping it probably isn't the springs. The one in the back of my CJ started slipping and I installed the upgraded dual spring kit, then went back in and shimmed them and it still slips. Try driving a V8 CJ5 with the rear kicking from side to side. It is just worn out.

I have my fingers crossed it's not toast. I run 33's and got into some very heavy blue clay mud that just stuck to my tires like glue. That's when the locker started jumping cogs. I hope I can get away with a cheap rebuild as the spring kits are 20 bucks. But if it's shot I'll break down and get a new one.

Mine skipped when I put it in and it turned out to be it was out of tolerance on one side due to a badly worn carrier bearing/race on that side. I would take off the diff cover and measure the tolerances on both sides if they are good (within spec) then maybe you just need new springs but if not or it way off from side to side or top to bottom (more than .005) I would pull the carrier and inspect the bearings & races. The center pin having excessive play in the carrier is something to look for too, a new pin may help but if not you'll need a new carrier. Lastly you may have bent the carrier itself, I've done this one already myself and in my case took several teeth out on the ring gear, when you got it stuck, The only way to tell is to do a run out on the carrier with a dial indicator. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
I have my fingers crossed it's not toast. I run 33's and got into some very heavy blue clay mud that just stuck to my tires like glue. That's when the locker started jumping cogs. I hope I can get away with a cheap rebuild as the spring kits are 20 bucks. But if it's shot I'll break down and get a new one.

THAT could have been enough to change the effective diameters of the tires to create the problem.

Mine skipped when I put it in and it turned out to be it was out of tolerance on one side due to a badly worn carrier bearing/race on that side. I would take off the diff cover and measure the tolerances on both sides if they are good (within spec) then maybe you just need new springs but if not or it way off from side to side or top to bottom (more than .005) I would pull the carrier and inspect the bearings & races. The center pin having excessive play in the carrier is something to look for too, a new pin may help but if not you'll need a new carrier. Lastly you may have bent the carrier itself, I've done this one already myself and in my case took several teeth out on the ring gear, when you got it stuck, The only way to tell is to do a run out on the carrier with a dial indicator. Good luck with it.

I checked mine and I got .164 the instructions say the tolerances are from .145 to .170 inches. I am just in the tolerances. So, do you guys think this could be a problem? Also, the teeth do have some wear on them. Is it normal to see some wear or is seeing wear a bad thing?

Last edited:
Just got done putting in the new springs. still have the same problem. so maybe the wear on the teeth is too much? Does anyone know id you can put another thrush washer on the coupler?

I tore the locker apart. Here is a photo of the teeth on the side that kept slipping. Think this is too much wear?

699936982_photobucket_19779_.jpg

flip those 2 pieces to the other side.
they shouldn't be side specific.
stukboy

I put the locker back together doing just that, I swapped them around to the opposite sides. I also noticed before I took the locker apart that it was just inside the tolerance so i put another thrush washer in behind the coupler that was slipping to take up that extra slack. I was unable to get it back together again before it got to cold to test it out but from what I can see it looks a lot better.

Check for cracks in the carrier. I split a stock carrier in half with an aussie. And those teeth are worn out. It takes very little wear to make that type of locker slip.

Got it all back together and its working great for now. Didn't give it much of a ride as it was getting late and I didn't want to walk home in the cold and dark if it broke down.

So did you pull the carrier to see why the tolerances were near the outer limits? Worn teeth on the locker itself is probably not the true issue, mine looked worse than that last time I took it out and it still works fine that was last summer and I use it everyday. Not checking that axle itself is in good mechanical condition before putting a locking device is a poor choice and will almost always give you less than satisfactory results, if the locker was properly installed and it's still slipping it's probably not the lockers fault it's the axle.

So did you pull the carrier to see why the tolerances were near the outer limits? Worn teeth on the locker itself is probably not the true issue, mine looked worse than that last time I took it out and it still works fine that was last summer and I use it everyday. Not checking that axle itself is in good mechanical condition before putting a locking device is a poor choice and will almost always give you less than satisfactory results, if the locker was properly installed and it's still slipping it's probably not the lockers fault it's the axle.

The best I can come up with is this. Having just bought this jeep about eight months ago. When I bought it the driver side tire had a slow leak in it, the same side that has the damaged teeth on the locker. The PO was driving it as a back up Daily ride while he was working on his truck. In the research I did, I discovered that running different diameter tires due to lower pressure on one side, will prematurely wear out a lunch box locker. So adding the premature wear from the low tire pressure to the heavy clay mud I got into the other weekend and you can see the damage done. I'm not sure how the tolerance got out. I looked over the carrier and bearings and found nothing out of line. But, adding the extra thrush washer put my tolerance right on the money.

I did get it all back together and took it out for a ride. I have no more slipping other then the occasional pop that come when I'm taking a corner as is to be expected. As for how long it will all hold up we'll have to wait and see.

Back