• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hit a wall the wrong way, power steering gone

ktm racer 419

NAXJA Forum User
Going up a snowy hillclimb, got kicked to one side, passenger front tire hit a wall of frozen dirt pretty hard, suddenly smelled ps fluid. Fluid ended up all over my valvecover, no leaks after that. Plenty of fluid, power steering is pretty much non-existant. all powersteering lines are fine, no kinks.

seems to turn left a little harder than right.

This is with a durango steering box and wj pump. plated frame (inside, outside and bottom) and one ton steering.

would it be possible that i tweaked the output shaft on the steering box?

Yep. Something grenaded. May want to run a inline filter on return line on your new setup

it was the pump.

trying to figure out how hitting a wall with my tire would cause the pump to go out.

Spike in pressure, already worn pump?

Metal in the system isn't good, it can take out the new pump you put on. Unfortunately, it's well documented that sometimes people have ongoing power steering problems until they replace every part, then it works perfectly. A contaminated system from a bad part can keep taking out the new parts that are put on.

Spike in pressure, already worn pump?

Metal in the system isn't good, it can take out the new pump you put on. Unfortunately, it's well documented that sometimes people have ongoing power steering problems until they replace every part, then it works perfectly. A contaminated system from a bad part can keep taking out the new parts that are put on.

wj pump,durango box, ps cooler, high pressure hose and return hoses were all new about 8 months ago.

i think an inline filter is in order as well

Back