• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help, pleeeeease!!(cam position sensor on 97 xj)

Jeepcrush4

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 jeep xj 4.0 auto. I got in my jeep and had it running for a couple of minutes and it died. Code came up as cam position sensor malfunction. Question is where the heck is it? I can't see anything by the water pump and I'm praying it isn't by the rear of the block. The car is stuck at work and I am mechanically inclined. Is it a lot of labor, can you jot down what needs to be removed? I'd have to go home and bring tools with me. Any help, asap.

Last edited:
The camshaft sensor is inside the distributor cap. Bring a screwdriver.

standard.jpg

You should always post up the actual error code.

FYI--OBDI/OBDII error codes are NOT specific directives to replace a specific part, they are directions on what subsystem needs testing. On modern vehicles you can get an error code for a subsystem that is the end result of OTHER parts or subsystems sending out-of-spec data/responses.

Just an FYI, I replaced all the sensors on my motor when I built my stroker. I bought a new distributor for advance auto, and the new aftermarket cam sensor died on me on the way home one night, with less than 5k on the motor. The jeep ran until I cut off the engine, when I went to crank it nada... So my point is if you are going to replace the sensor go with the jeep factory sensor and not aftermarket, just to keep you from spending about the same amount of money and getting stranded. I ended up putting the original distributor and sensor back in with 150k on them and no problems yet...

Last edited:
Thanks guys, guess I short changed it. I got 3 codes.
P0340
P0306
P0320

As for P0320 it states distributor/ignition, however in google it's stating crank position sensor. Ill be sure to check any rubbing on the wiring by the back of the head.

Well, dealers were closed, so I opted for a duralast crank position sensor. Had initial trouble at start up, but eventually caught. I'm letting it run for a bit and hopefully it'll get me till next Saturday till i get a dealer part. Removal and installation took maybe 10 minutes and this was out in the street in the snow. Thanks everyone.

Back