• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 automatic transmission issues

redrock79

NAXJA Forum User
Gents

I have an issue with my AW4 I am hoping someone here can help with, I have been working it now for about 3 months and can't seem to figure it out. I have been through numerous forums and tech manuals.

The problem:

When initially driving the jeep (cold) it shifts fine with no issues, once the jeep and the tranny are at normal operating temp. (about 14 miles) the aw4 starts to whine (all gears/P/N) and once you come to a stop the jeep will not move. If you turn the jeep off and let it sit for about a min. you can crank it up and drive with no whine and the cycle will continue. I orginally thought that it my be a solenoid by all read good and click with supplied with 12vdc... Maybe a TC or a trans pump??? but if it where wouldn't it do the same thing cold?? The control-alt-delete (turning the jeep off then on) is what is messing me up the most...

I have checked:
TPS
solenoid
changed screen and fluid -- which it worked great for about a week then reverted back to its usual self.
kick down cable
disconnected trans computer-- still the same result

any help would be appreciated...

If this does it with the tcu disconnected, then you've pretty much ruled out an electrical cause.

So unfortunately that leaves mechanical.

I'm not that familiar with the guts of the AW4, but maybe somebody that is will chime in with possibilities.....

You said you disconnected the computer and shifted it manually. so i would think if it does this in manual mode it most likely hardware failure inside (pump,clogged valve body,band,ect) you may just want to pick up a used unit they are usually cheap (50.-100.)

If this does it with the tcu disconnected, then you've pretty much ruled out an electrical cause.

So unfortunately that leaves mechanical.

I'm not that familiar with the guts of the AW4, but maybe somebody that is will chime in with possibilities.....

Sounds like it may be time for a trans swap. Aw4's are usually very reasonably priced at your local salvage yard or I'm sure someone out your way has one for sale.

Good advice from the others--your issue is mechanical/hydraulic in nature and not related to the electronics.

FYI--it is a throttle pressure cable, not a kick down cable. They are entirely different.

Back