• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Engine piston removal

biggchief

NAXJA Forum User
ALright guys,

ive tried to search this subject but have come up with nothing. Can someone verify for me if a piston coan be removed and reinstalled from the crankshaft side on a 1996 4.0?

I have a 1996 XJ that runs flawlessly other than the apparent wristpin that i have that is out. So, my plan is to swap the piston out, as i need to cheap this as much as possible. Worst case im out nothing but time and an oil change if it doesnt work, I do have an extra motor just trying to avoid that route..

thanx for any information.

It's been a while since I've removed a piston from a 4.0 block (7+ years) but if I remember it correctly I pulled the pistons from the bottom and installed from the top with the piston ring compressor.

Looking at this picture, I would be concerned about the piston fitting between the mains on the block.
2010-12-17_13-34-45_925.jpg

It isn't that hard to pull the head off. You have to disconnect some stuff, remove the valve cover, loosen the rockers, pull the pushrods out and yard the head off. You don't need to remove the manifolds, it can all come out as an assembly. I bet it could be done in an hour if you have air tools.

Yeah im more trying to cut a corner and not remove top end while engine is still in vehicle.. the engine runs flawless other than the wristpin knock that it has. and the top end was done not too long ago..

Even if you could get the piston out that way how are you going to get a ring compressor back in there to put the piston back in?

they cannot be romoved from the bottom unles you smash the pistion into a million pieces with a hammer

Back